Adelaide Shore Excursion: City Sights, Cleland Wildlife, Mount Lofty, Penfolds
Your first stop is the Adelaide Central Market in the heart of the city. This historic market has been a mecca of food in Adelaide for over 140-years and still today retains its unique charm and character. Renowned for its multicultural flavors and local produce, it has become one of Adelaide's must do attractions. Walking around the market is a great way to immerse yourself in the local culture whilst indulging your senses with some of the finest produce available in South Australia.
Note: On days when the Adelaide Central Market is closed (Sunday and Monday), a substitute tour of Adelaide's historic Victoria (Tarndanyangga) Square is provided. This recently upgraded central Adelaide park provides a beautiful cosmopolitan atmosphere whilst being encircled by some of Adelaide finest historic buildings.
Next up is a leisurely drive along Adelaide's bustling streets, precincts and surrounding park lands. Crossing the River Torrens, drive along the beautifully redeveloped Riverbank Precinct, past the world famous Adelaide Oval and then travel out of the city on Adelaide's cultural boulevard 'North Terrace'. Witness many of Adelaide's most important landmarks and historic buildings.
Cleland Wildlife Park
The major stop for the day is at Cleland Wildlife Park where you will have plenty of time to get close to Australia’s most unique wildlife. Whilst immersing yourself in the wonders of this natural bush environment, engage with impressive kangaroos, shy wallabies and cute inquisitive potoroos. The Koala close-up experience is a definite must do, along with seeing the Emu's, Dingoes, Wombats, and native bird life. The Cleland Wildlife Park is also your stop for lunch.
Mount Lofty Summit
At the summit, fantastic panoramic views over the Adelaide Plains and Gulf St. Vincent await you. Originally spotted from Kangaroo Island in 1802 by Captain Matthew Flinders, Mount Lofty Summit is the highest point in the Adelaide Hills at 710-meters. This short stop gives you the perfect opportunity to take memorable pictures.
A visit to Adelaide is not complete without tasting some of the region’s local wines! Just 20-minutes from the heart of the city and nestled in the foothills of the beautiful Adelaide Hills, stop at the world-renowned Penfolds Winery. Established in 1844, Penfolds is one of South Australia's oldest and most famous wineries, offering stunning views across its iconic vineyards and historic buildings. In the state of art cellar door, experience personalized tasting of their internationally acclaimed wines.
To end an amazing day on a perfect note, enjoy a scenic drive along the coast back to your ship at Outer Harbor.
- Professional driver guide
- Live commentary on board
- Penfold's wine tasting experience
- Up-close Koala Experience - meet, touch and photograph a koala
- Bag of animal food
- 10% off at Cleland gift shop
- Packed lunch
- Bottle of water and snack
- Transport by air-conditioned mini bus
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Koala 'Hold' Experience - additional fee from AU$30.50 per person (see additional info)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Please note departure and return times will be confirmed to suit the arrival and boarding times of your cruise ship and will be advised.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Minimum drinking age is 18 years
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Wheelchair hire is available at Cleland Wildlife Park, please advise at time of booking
- Please note that the Koala Experiences are not bookable in advance and are not guaranteed. They depend upon availability and animal welfare regulations governed by the wildlife park. They also do not operate on days forecast at over 32 degrees in Mt Barker.
Our guides showed us a very nice day. Enjoyed the markets, wine tasting at Penfolds was to rushed for my taste buds to really enjoy, the ride up to the Mt. Lofty overlook was very scenic and nice. SA provided a nice picnic lunch when we arrived at the Cleland wildlife park and it was a good time to see some indigenous animals. Our guide also spotted Koala's in the wild that we were able to stop and photograph on our way back down to the city.