Family Rafting Day Trip from Hafgrímsstaðir: Grade 2 White Water Rafting on the West Glacial River
Make your way to the rafting base in Hafgrímsstaðir where your adventure starts. Begin by meeting your international team of guides at the river base, where you will get prepared and dressed in drysuits for your trip. From there, the rafting bus will take you on the short road to the put-in point for the raft at the West Glacial River. After a full explanation, demonstration, and training with your guides, push off from the river bank for a 90-minute, 10km descent of gentle rapids, spectacular scenery, and riverside hot springs. Conditions permitting, boost your excitement with a friendly cliff jump and a swim in the bubbling glacial waters of northern Iceland.
Along the way, enjoy a steaming cup of hot cocoa made directly with natural hot water from a riverside hot spring!
- All necessary rafting equipment: drysuit, PFD, helmet, booties, gloves
- Qualified, professional rafting guides and safety kayakers
- Transportation between rafting base and the river
- Riverside refreshments (hot drinks)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Transportation to rafting base from Akureyri/Reykjavik
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age: 6
- Recommended items to bring with you: Thermal underwear/base layers, warm fleece top/wool sweater, fleece pants/extra long johns, thick wool socks/hiking socks (at least 1 pair), change of clothes for after the river, any necessary medications (asthma inhalers, etc.), waterproof camera (optional)
Excellent experience. Great also for family.
It was a long drive from Reykjavik but well worth it! We all had a brilliant time and the guides were superb. Once our youngest is a bit older we would definitely try another rafting trip on a bigger river. Well done guys! John, Michael and Sousane