Alternative Amsterdam Walking Tour
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Dam Square, Amsterdam, North Holland Province
Amsterdam is a city like no other, known for its iconic landmarks and monuments and also for its coffee shops, bicycles, and prostitution.
As you’ll learn on this 2-hour guided walk, the city is also well known for its liberal laws, alternative housing arrangements, and being the first in the world to recognise marriage equality.
Delve into the alternative scene that makes Amsterdam a must-visit destination for visitors interested in subcultures. Explore such facets of Amsterdam society as the post-WWII housing crisis that led to the phenomenon of living in boats or in squats, and the counterculture movements that developed into today’s unmatched cityscape of unique coffee shops and street art.
This is the real Amsterdam - the side of the city that locals love, and that visitors come to experience. This tour is a must for anyone really wanting to really experience this unique city!
Pass By: Moco Museum, Amsterdam, North Holland Province
If you'd like to complement your tour with a closer look at street art culture, get our combo ticket to enter the Modern Contemporary Museum of Amsterdam (MoCo).
- Local guide
- Entrance to Moco Museum (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children under the age of 13 may join free, however, please note that some content may not be suitable for younger guests. Children must be accompanied.
- A small amount of walking is involved, comfortable shoes are recommended
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Please note that depending on the route the guide chooses, the tour may end next to Dam Square, next to Cannabis College or by Westerkerk
- The independent guides who employ us to market their tours have your best interests in mind; while the tour usually includes the sites & stories mentioned and lasts about 2 hours, your tour may vary depending on what your guide thinks is best for your group
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
It was a good tour and our guide was young, entertaining and well spoken. We didn't get to do the whole tour because of a last minute scheduling conflict. I would recommend it...the group was small and congenial and it was a very good value.
Axel is just a bottomless well of knowledge and entertainment. I highly recommend this tour.
Coffee Shop Tour was combined with an alternative lifestyle tour, which was very interesting. Unfortunately, our tour guide walked very fast and sometimes got separated from the entire group. But, he did eventually stop to make sure everyone had caught up. The information he gave was very interesting! Thanks Much!
The tour is not for people over 60. Also, you have to be tall to keep up with the guide. We left the tour right after it started because they were too far ahead. We just could not keep up.
It was not a coffee shop tour but they don't tell you that until late in the tour. Do not take this tour. The guide was wonderful and knowledgeable about things in the square. He was caught in a terrible position. Everyone was upset.
Not really the tour e thought it would be