Combo: Zaanse Schans Windmills and Volendam Half-Day & Amsterdam Walking Tour
Your 2-hour walking tour starts at the Damrak. Stroll around the historical city center as your guide delves into more than 800 years of Amsterdam’s rich history, culture and traditions.
See top attractions including the Royal Palace of Amsterdam, Dam Square, Anne Frank House, the Rembrandt House Museum and the Amsterdam Museum. Listen as your guide explains the city’s humble beginnings as a small settlement on the Amstel River, and learn how the Golden Age helped develop it into a dynamic metropolis.
Saunter along the UNESCO World Heritage-listed canals, walk down bustling Rokin and Kalverstraat streets, and explore the Jordaan district and the infamous Red Light District, showcasing Amsterdam’s provocative side. You’ll also see old city gates, Nieuwmarkt (New Market) and De 9 Straatjes (The 9 Streets). Midway through your tour, stop to sample some Dutch specialties including herring, cheese, waffles and jenever (gin).
Arrive back at the Damrak to conclude your tour.
Zaanse Schans Windmills, Marken and Volendam Half-Day Trip from Amsterdam (Day 2)
The next day, board a coach at the Damrak and relax on the scenic drive into the Dutch countryside. Enjoy commentary about the region from your audio guide.
Your first stop is Volendam, a quaint fishing village that still holds its old-world charm. Visit a cheese factory here to see how local cheese is made.
Then, drive or boat to Marken, another traditional fishing town. Admire its characteristic wooden houses, and stop by a local shoemaker to watch him make clogs.
Next it’s off to the village of Zaanse Schans, famous for its eye-catching windmills — a symbol of the Netherlands. See the old shipyard and original buildings that evoke Dutch life in the 17th and 18th centuries, and capture the scenery on camera.
In the late afternoon, enjoy the drive back to central Amsterdam, where your tour ends.
- Professional guide
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- A boat trip on the Ijsselmeer
- Visit to an authentic Dutch windmill + demonstration by the miller
- Visit of the traditional fishing village Marken + demonstration by a clogmaker
- The Cheese Factory + the Old Dutch Bakery in Volendam
- Dutch delicacies: cheese and genever
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please note: This tour package takes place over two consecutive days, and the tours must be taken in order; overnight accommodation is not included
- Children up to and including 3 years old are free of charge (not occupying a seat)
- Languages available for this tour package:
- Volendam/ Marken & Zaanse Schans tour: GPS audio guide with choice of 16 languages
- The Amsterdam Walking tour: Live Guide English and Spanish
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
Save the countryside for when you visit Holland. Unfortunately, this Half-Day trip from Amsterdam was not enjoyable. It was by far the worst Viator tour I've ever paid for. I would not recommend it to travelers - waste of time spend more time exploring Amsterdam. We were put on an overly crowded tour bus where our tour guide continually repeated everything he said in three different languages. At each stop on the tour, our guide slowly lead the group around, but failed to give much valuable insight or information at the different spots of interest. Normally my tour guides through Viator bookings are fabulous and have very interesting stories/facts/history to relay to the tour group. Furthermore, the cheese making and clog making demonstrations seemed more like quick sales pitches more than anything. You do see windmills at the beginning of the tour which make for some good pictures the best photos you'll get the whole tour, but I was disappointed that the little town the windmills are in was very saturated and seemed more of a tourist trap more than anything.
good tour of the countryside could have done with a bit more time at zaanse schans ,and a little less at volendam. the city walk was very informative.
Very was very good.