Auckland Shore Excursion: Small-Group Coast and Rainforest Tour
After pick up you have a short (30min) drive to the Arataki Visitor Centre – gateway to the coastal rainforest. Enjoy breathtaking panoramic views over the rainforest back to the city and across to Auckland’s southern harbour. The visitors centre is also home to some traditional Maori carvings and your guide will talk about them and explain their significance for the area.
Your eco-tour includes a guided walk in an area of original rainforest where ancient kauri trees tower over the unique trees and plants that have developed separately from the rest of the world for millions of years. Your experienced guide will explain about the local plants and animals as you stroll through the forest.
Next your guide will take you out to the west coast to enjoy a kiwi-style picnic lunch at a scenic location. After lunch walk the clifftop tracks with stunning views along the coast and out across the Tasman Sea.
Then walk in regenerating rainforest with giant tree ferns and palm trees growing alongside the picturesque stream to unwind by a spectacular cascading waterfall.
During the day you go to an awe-inspiring west coast beach where you can stroll along the soft black sand, watch the surf waves crashing in and feel the clear ocean breeze.
As well as keeping you entertained and informed your guide will make sure you have plenty of opportunities to ask questions and make sure there are lots of photo opportunities. Bush and Beach have been running tours in this area for over 30 years so you will be being looked after by the local experts
Worry-Free Shore Excursion: We will ensure your timely return to the Auckland cruise port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
- Cruise port pickup and drop-off at the Price Waterhouse Coopers bus stop (stop #1346), 188 Quay Street
- Local guide
- Light refreshments
- Picnic lunch (choice of chicken, roast beef or vegetarian)
- Worry-free Shore Excursion Guarantee
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Moderate level of walking ability required. Includes approximately 2 hours of walking
- Please advise your preferred lunch choice in the special requirements box upon booking: chicken, roast beef or vegetarian
- All luggage must be kept aboard your ship or at a luggage storage facility at the port (own expense)
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
Nice way to get out of the city, to the western shore! We met our driver/guide Rob right across from the cruise port. He had already picked up 4 American women from hotels. We drove in a very comfortable, clean van. We left the city of Auckland and headed towards the west coast, the Tasman Sea. We stopped first at the visitors center for the Waitakere Ranges Regional Park. From here we could see both coasts, the Pacific and the Tasman Sea. There were very nice displays about the local flora and fauna as well as showing / explaining the lumbering business that denuded the rainforest that is now regrown. Then we continued on to Karekare, taking a short hike to a very high cascading waterfall. From there we walked on a sandy path to the beach where scenes from The Piano wer shot in 1993. The black sand is from the volcano and the sparkles in the sand are titanium. Rob said the steel used to make Hyundai cars comes from the North Island of NZ. Back to the van, there were picnic tables and we had lunch: delicious sandwiches Rob had picked up at a small local store, juice or water, and a Danish. There were about a dozen ducks looking for handouts of bread and providing some entertainment. After lunch we drove to a high viewpoint of Piha, the famous surfing beach. Homes were tucked into/onto the very steep mountainside below us. We continued on a ways before stopping for a very nice hike through the rainforest seeing 1000 year old trees, the Kauri, and other interesting trees and plants. We finished with a beverage break and then headed back to the city to drop us off at the ship. Highly recommended way to spend a single day in Auckland!
Wonderful tour around Auckland. Our guide was fantastic and very knowledgeable. We saw some beautiful beaches and rainforest. Lovely small group. Amazing trip