Waitakere Ranges Guided Walk from Auckland
Otherworldly sights abound once you enter the native rainforest of the Waitakere Ranges. Just 40 minutes from bustling Auckland, this enchanted world feels completely different with its lush vegetation and plunging waterfalls. If the dramatic scenery seems familiar, it's possible you caught a glimpse of it in The Piano, an Oscar-winning film by Jane Campion.
Learn more about the subtropical rainforest and the animals that live there during a visit to the Arataki Visitor Centre. From the visitor center, you can see amazing views that stretch from Auckland's cityscape to the west coast’s Manukau Harbour.
Take your new knowledge west to begin your exhilarating four- to five-hour guided walk. Wind your way through the forest of indigenous silver ferns and red-flowered pohutukawa trees (known overseas as New Zealand Christmas trees). As you go, learn how the plants were used for medicinal purposes by the Maori. Walk under rows of towering kauri trees as you make your way to coastal lookouts for breathtaking views of the Tasman Sea, which separates New Zealand from Australia.
Stop to enjoy a picnic lunch in a secluded bush glade, along a dramatic clifftop clearing, or in a sheltered sandy cove, depending on the weather.
After lunch, continue your walk through the greenery down to the west coast’s most beautiful black-sand beach. Stroll along the shimmering black sand to the soundtrack of a pounding surf. Dip your toes in the wild Tasman Sea if the weather is warm, or keep walking to reach stunning waterfalls.
Rest your feet on the return trip to downtown Auckland, where you will be dropped off.
- Snacks, hot and cold drinks
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entry/Admission - Arataki - Waitakere Ranges
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking (4-5 hrs) is involved over uneven terrain
- Please dress appropriately depending on weather conditions of the day
- Please bring good walking shoes, sun protection, swimming gear and your camera
- Please note this tour is not bookable for ages under 4 years
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
Neil was a fantastic guide. Lunch was good and the views were excellent. We thought it was a good amount of hiking, enough to see the area but with many rest/photo opportunities. We felt it was overpriced but a good trip.
This was an excellent and highly personalized experience with a small group. The perfect choice of guided walks made us possible for us to discover a range of extraordinary landscapes. Our guide, Neil, was very friendly, very knowledgeable and well-organized. We highly recommend this tour to discover the Auckland area!