Half-Day Jim Thompson House Tour
Jim Thompson was the legendary American architect-entrepreneur who settled in Thailand after WWII and almost single-handedly revived the moribund silk industry.
Thompson's achievements during his 25 year stay in the Kingdom of Thailand have won him much fame as the "Legendary American of Thailand". Since his mysterious disappearance in 1967 in the jungle of Malaysia, little has changed in the home that was the 'talk of the town' and the 'city's most celebrated social center'. Even today, this Thai style house which contains intensive collection of art and antique objects continues to be a key stop for visitors to Bangkok.
Jim's maze of seven Thai-style teak houses has since been converted into a small private museum filled with his priceless collection of Asian antiques, pottery, and curiosities. A small gift shop sells fine reproductions of Vessantara Jataka and Brahma Jati horoscopes. Yet, at this moment the city boasts with a variety of Jim Thompson’s silk houses in the more up-market shopping areas, where this excellent Thai promotional product can be bought.
After touring all the corners of the house and the lush gardens, your guide and driver will safely bring you back to your hotel.
- English speaking guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off for Bangkok Central Business District hotels
- All taxes and service fees included
- Entry/Admission - Jim Thompson House
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Guides are not permitted into the house- management of Jim Thompson’s House of Silk only allows in-house guides to conduct tours
- According to regulations set by the Port Authority of Thailand, we are unable to pick-up and drop off customers from main cruise ports such as the Klong Toey Cruise Terminal in Bangkok. Special permits are required to enter the cruise terminal premises
The tour is mediocre. We had an interesting guide on the tour, but because of the number of groups moving around the property, it was difficult for linger in the house or for the guide to provide more information on how the silk production works. We do really like the professionalism of the tour guide and driver from Asian Trails.
Excellent guide, prompt arrival, patient and accommodating driver and guide. The only thing that should be noted is that you must join a regularly scheduled tour, so that when you book a private guide through Viator you are booking RT transportation, and individual guide only for the parts of the tour that do not include going inside the house, etc. Those tours are included in your cost through Viator but are separately conducted at specific times. Other than that overall outstanding.