Historical Montserrat Half-Day Hiking Tour from Barcelona
With your small group of 8 or less people, ride the glass-topped St. Joan funicular railway and take in spectacular views of the monastery and the mountain on your way up. Hike for 2 hours at Montserrat Natural Park; different routes can be selected depending upon the group's preference. Pass thousand-year-old hermitages and hear stories about the important roles they played became during the Spanish Independence War in the early 19th century.
After hiking back down to the monastery you'll have the opportunity to taste a variety of natural food products from local vendors, and to purchase lunch before your drive back to Barcelona around 2:30pm.
Elevation Gain/Loss: +180 m (+600 ft)/ -400 m (-1.300 ft)
Duration: 6.5 hours
Active Hiking Time: 2 hours
Total distance hiked: 6 km (3,7 mi)
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
- Transportation by private vehicle
- Special pricing for children
- 2-hour hike through the Natural Park
- Accident insurance/health assistance
- Funicular up to Sant Joan (Funicular down not included. We will return hiking)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- In case you pick the option: "Hotel Pick up" advise your hotel details in the Special Requirements Box at time of booking please
- Group tour limited to 8 people
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please bring comfortable clothes, walking shoes, warm clothing in winter, and sunscreen in summer
- Please bring snacks and drinks to this tour in case you need them
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
This tour was great! There happened to be nobody else on this tour besides my husband and I. Therefore, we had a really nice, personal hike with our guide and his wife. The scenery was beautiful and the hike was not difficult. We had a chance to visit the monastery before beginning our hike. We also had the opportunity to buy some snacks from a local street market after our hike.
This hike was great. Our Guide was patient and extremely knowledgeable giving us a full tour of the Monastary. The views on the hike were breathtaking, the snow capped Pyrennes, the Mediteranean in the distance. The Guide picked us up at the prearranged meeting point, my husband and I were the only two on the tour so received his full attention. He did not hurry us and we could follow our own pace. We were delivered back to our hotel in Barcelona mid afternoon. Wonderful day, highlight of our three weeks in Europe this past winter. Norma
This hike was a bit more challenging than we expected, but the views were worth the challenge. Our guide pushed us to experience the less touristical routes as he called them, and we were wise to take his recommendations, as the scenery was spectacular. I would highly recommend, but be sure to hit the stair climber a few weeks prior to get your legs ready!
It was a great day. The tour of Montserrat was very nice plus the hike afterwards offered wonderful views and a chance to see old hermit caves and shrines.
The tour group was larger than expected so we had 2 guides. Joaquim and Pera. Pera lead the small group of us who did the longer hike. The longer hike option is harder than I would have thought. There are some trails with loose rocks and tricky footing. But Pera did a great job of taking care of those of us who needed a bit more help on those sections. Make sure to wear runners or some type of shoes with some grip and suitable for walking down uneven trails as well as some concrete paths. Definitely no flipflops or heels on this tour. The scenery is totally stunning, and we even had a foggy day. This is lovely change from the city.