Montserrat Royal Basilica Half-Day Trip from Barcelona
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Abadia de Montserrat, Carretera BP-1121 S/N, 08199 Montserrat Spain
Montserrat is a rocky mountain located 50 km to the southwest of Barcelona. It is considered the most significant and important mountain of Catalonia. The etymology of Montserrat comes from Catalan Mont (mountain) and serrat (serrated). The mountain receives its name for its peculiar morphology. In 1987 Montserrat was declared a Natural Park to ensure its conservation. The highest peak is called Sant Jeroni (Saint Jerome) and stands at 1,236 meters above sea level.
Besides the main monastery of Santa María de Montserrat, there is a great number of small churches and chapels, some of them abandoned. The main monastery stands at 720 meters above sea level. Nowadays there is a community of 80 monks that live there and follow the rule of Saint Benedict.
When you arrive, you will enjoy an introduction to the history of the monastery.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Montana de Montserrat, 08199 Montserrat Spain
The Mountain has many hiking routes. The routes are long and it can take hours to finish them. As you will have some free time, a good option is to walk to the cross of Sant Miguel (approximately 15 minutes away from the monastery), it offers one of the best panoramic views of the mountain and the monastery.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Escolania de Montserrat, Spain
You will be able to hear the amazing choir of Montserrat, which have concerts on weekdays at 13:00h.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Montserrat Museum, Montserrat Spain
During your free time, you will be able to visit the audiovisual exhibition and to taste some typical liqueurs.
Duration: 45 minutes
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Tasting of 4 typical liquors made by the monks of the monastery
- Radio guide system
- Entrance to the audio visual exhibition in Montserrat “Espai Audio visual Montserrat”.
- 20% off in the Sant Joan Funicular ticket.
- 10% off in the Museum entrance fee.
- 10% off in the buffet restaurant at the “Mirador dels Apostols”.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants travel free provided they do not occupy a seat
- This is a large coach tour with a maximum of 50 participants
- Note that the children's choir performance is subjected to the school calendar and special events of the choir and monastery.
- Correct dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals.
- Please be aware that some walking is included during this tour, please come prepared and we recommend wearing comfortable clothes and shoes.
- At Montserrat there is a mountains climate, depending on the season you will need clothes protecting you from the rain and/or cold.
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- We recommend you to check the timetable of the different facilities that you wish to visit during your free time.
- For your comfort, a radio guide system is offered during the tour, in groups of more than 5 people.
- Most travelers can participate
- Failure to show up at the established check-in time may entail losing the tour.
- The duration of the tour includes the round trip to the destination.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
During trip 2 inconsiderate women were talking loud and laughing. The guide of the day trip was just besides our guide keeps on get the attention of our guide but did not mind all and keeps on talking and just ignore the rudeness. Why should our guide be bothered he get paid regardless. Good site Bad guide.
Spectacular, can't miss location. David is a very knowledgeable tour guide that kept us on time and provided relavant information plus injected his knowledge of the site which personalised the experience.
Fantastic day made perfect with Xavier as our guide. His english is extremely good and his extensive knowledge and great sense of humour heightened the experience for my husband and I.
Knowledgable guide, air con bus, just over an hour to get there, great scenery. Good to visit if you have time in Barcelona.
It was a very nice experience. I liked the organization, the care the guide had for us, the explanations, and of course other things that were not really depending on the trip organisers, like the weather, the fact that there were not so many crowds. I loved the experience.
Great tour! Super crowded spot.
Our guide was obviously much more fluent in Spanish than English on this bilingual tour. .not really a surprise, but to the point it was not easy to understand a fair amount of what she was saying. She did seem knowledgeable. We expected a fair amount of time to explore from the description, but ended feeling the actual time at the site was somewhat compressed. We did hear the boys choir sing their brief appearance but be warned the Basilica will be JAMMED. Still, would bee a shame to visit area and not see.
Booked through Viator yes, I was a little lazy if I would have searched for travel agents I hope I would have found Julia. I booked half day morning tour. Modern clean bus, excellent bus driver...not a fan of bus travel driver was the BEST! Very good tour guide knowledgeable Thank you Laura for a nice trip. 9:15am show time, confirmation ticket came with easy instructions where to show up. Counter staff at Julia were nice, just had to check in really didn't have much dealing with them. Only problem with tour, arrived at Montserrat around 10am or so made our way to Basilica 10:30am-12pm Basilica and door to Black Virgin closed till 12pm!! Thought that a little strange, so you just walk around kill time till noon, then meet tour guide at 1:15pm.
We have a fun time touring Mostserrat Royal Basilica.