Montserrat Half-Day Tour with Tapas and Gourmet Wines from Barcelona
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Abadia de Montserrat, Carretera BP-1121 S/N, 08199 Montserrat Spain
Amaze yourself with the landscape and learn all about its history by the hand of your local English-speaking tour guide. The hour-long guided visit includes a tour of the monastery highlights and basilica of Montserrat. Hear stories and legends about La Moreneta, the carving of a black Virgin Mary that the monks have kept in their temple for centuries. You will have some free time after that, enough to discover the local farmer’s market in which the farmers of the area sell their cheeses and honey, or to keep on enjoying the jaw-dropping views. For those travelers interested in art, the tour allows just about enough time to discover an astonishing collection that Montserrat monks keep inside their museum. Such a hidden gem!
Duration: 2 hours
Pass By: Castlexperience - Wine Tours, St. Montsio 10 Rusc de Turisme, 08002 Barcelona Spain
As you look through the window, the sun hides behind the silhouette of Montserrat massif, outlining its contour against the sky. In between its peaks mysteries, legends and myths dwell in its rocks and caves. Your imagination plays with all the stories and folklore you have heard and seen from its heights. You have contemplated the Catalan lands extending before you; you have learnt about the centuries that have happened in it. Moors, Christians, castles, battles and noblemen. All these stories exudate from the old stones of the long-ago-fortified houses of the region. In there now, like history, vines sink their roots deep in the dry clayish soil. This, in return, contributes to the result of generations of hard work: unique wines that speak of passion, history and tradition. This whole new universe of local flavors still lingers in your mind and, before you realize, it takes you to the world of dreams on your trip back to Barcelona. What an unforgettable morning.
Stop At: Oller del Mas, Carretera Igualada Km 91, 08241 Manresa Spain
Oller del Mas is not a common winery – its superb ecological wines have earned plenty of awards in the recent years. In fact, one of its wines won the “Best Wine in Catalonia” award in 2018. But the cellar is not only special for its wines. You will take a stroll by the vineyards, learn how the wine is made, and discover all of its secrets.
*We work daily with different low-production, family-owned boutique wineries. Due to logistic reasons, you might visit another cellar instead of Oller del Mas.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Shared transportation in a comfortable air-conditioned bus
- Local English-speaking guide
- Guided visit to Montserrat Monastery (1 hour)
- Half an hour free time at Montserrat
- Guided visit to a boutique winery
- Three wine tasting
- Cold tapas lunch with dessert
- Entry/Admission - Oller del Mas
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- The tour leaves from Plaza Catalunya, 21 (by the Hard Rock Café) – look for the pink umbrella.
- Meet strictly 15 minutes before your departure time.
- There is a limit of 16 people per guide, although transportation will be shared with other groups.
- Please note that we reserve the right to modify the order of the sites visited if considered necessary.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes are recommended as there is some walking involved.
- Temperatures in Montserrat and the winery tend to be more extreme than in Barcelona. Please check the weather forecast the day before and dress accordingly.
- Infants aged 3 or less may join the tour free of charge, but note that no car seat or meals are provided.
- If you have reduced mobility, please contact us before booking. We do our best to welcome everyone on board!
- We cater for any dietary allergies or restrictions – no need to warn us beforehand.
- Montserrat is a Natural Park a very highlighted cultural destination that can't be entirely explored in a single tour. Your experience includes some free time in Montserrat. If you would like to spend extra time in Montserrat, please check with your guide upon arrival.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- We work daily with different low-production, family-owned boutique wineries. Due to logistic reasons, you might visit another cellar instead of Oller del Mas.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
We booked Monserrat Half-Day tour online for our cruise ship stop in Barcelona. The ship terminal is far away from the city centre meeting point. Our tour started at 9:30am, and we were very tight in time to return on board. I asked organiser to change time for an earlier tour but seats were not available. The organiser gave us an option to skip a wine tour and return to Barcelona from Montserrat earlier on another bus. It was a perfect solution for us! Our guide was excellent, we enjoyed his stories and jokes. He transferred us to another returning bus at a winery stop. Thank you for the excursion and for the care! It was a pleasant day, free of hustles!
My daughter and I booked this tour, and had a wonderful time. Albert was our guide, and he was so informative with respect to the history of Barcelona, speaking about different things during the trip to Montserrat. Once we got to the monastery, he gave a great tour and history of the area. The wine tasting and tapas were fun and informative. Overall we had a wonderful day!
Easy way to get to Montserrat, have some guiding information and see the countryside (with Wine!). Alberto was friendly and informative. Great day trip.
We loved this tour because it got us out of Barcelona to see the countryside and amazing Madonna and mountains. We had plenty of time to walk around Monserrat - we enjoyed seeing Spaniards attending mass while we were looking at the incredible sites! Winery was tasty and fun too! Rubi was the best tour guide too - he answered our questions and gave great insights.
Tour to Montserrat and the winery was amazing. Mercedes, our tour guide was wonderful. She was knowledgeable and had a very uplifting attitude. She made the tour a wonderful experience
Tour guide made this tour so much fun. Loved Montserrat and the stories, views and the winery was good too. Took pics of group, gave recommendations for Barcelona and overall professional, knowledgeable and interesting!
I wanted to like this tour a bit more than I did. It felt the 'free time' at Montserrat (which is amazing) was too short, only to be wasted in the bus waiting on MIA participants. The winery was very neat, however the wine tasting was limited and did not start until after lunch, which we found a bit bizarre. Then there was not much time afterwards for an additional glass of wine. Seemed to be a lot of hurrying up then waiting - poor use of time overall at two amazing sites. Our guide Silvia was quite nice though.
I had an amazing day trip...beautiful scenery. So much to see and our tour guide was very knowledgeable. The wine and tapas was delicious...
Had a fantastic day, great wine tasting, good guiding. Montserrat is a place that everyone should visit when in Barcelona. This tour is well matched, nice ride, Montserrat is spectacular, and to finish great wine tasting.
I have taken many Viator trips; the guide can make all the difference. Marta (and associates) was an excellent guide. I initially only booked the tour for the Montserrat part; really wasn't interested in the winery visit. But the winery visit was my favorite part of the day! Montserrat was lovely, but I'm glad I only did the half day tour. With that being said, the half day tour really didn't allow time for the funicular ride, or an up-close view of the Madonna. Overall, a wonderful experience.
This was a really enjoyable tour. The tour was very well organized and our guide Mercedes was informative and a pleasure to spend the day with. We traveled to Montserrat to see the Black Madonna and the beautiful views from the top. We then went to a very nice family owned winery for lunch and 3 different glasses of wine. We were back on time, which was important for us to get back to our ship. Very well done and a very good value.
– We had a great tour with Marta. We had more free time at Montserrat that we expected, which was great! The winery location is beautiful and the tasting was educational and delicious. Having a vegan diet, they did a great job of providing us a wonderful cold tapas lunch.
Thoroughly enjoyed our day on this tour! Would definitely recommend! Marta (and the other tour guides on the bus) were awesome! Funny and very informative! Had plenty of time to wander around the grounds of Monserrat and enjoy the beautiful views! And we thoroughly enjoyed our tapas lunch and wine sampling at the winery afterwards! Was a fun day!
The tour was super coupled with a tremendous tour director. It was a pleasure being on his tour. He was very knowledgeable and made the trip a little extra special
Breathtaking views, amazing and entertaining history lessons, delicious wine and tapas and lots of laughs with the best guides ever - those are just some of the things you're going to enjoy on the tour to Montserrat and the wine tasting at a castle dating back to 10th century. All in all, a wonderful experience, whether you're travelling solo or with your family. Totally worth the try even if you have just a couple of days in Barcelona.
From the bus ride to the location and the knowledge of the guides, especially Carolina Castellano who was our guide. There were no disappointments. A wonderful day from start to finish.
We had an amazing time with Pol as our tour guide- all the tour guides are very friendly and knowledgable! Montserrat is a breath-taking place and it’s worth spending some more time there but we only did the half day tour which leaves about 1h free time there. The Oller del Mas winery is a boutique winery overlooking Montserrat in the distance- we had a great time doing the wine tasting there. Definitely a must!
Our guide Borja was very good. Very informative and took his time to explain and allowed enough time to see the place. wine tasting was awesome and learnt a lot about wines.