Bay of Islands Shore Excursion: Historic Kerikeri Tour
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Kawiti Caves, 49 Waiomio Road, Kawakawa 0210 New Zealand
Our first destination is the Kawiti Glowworm Caves where a local Maori guide will lead you through underground caverns to see the glow worms and tell you how the caves came to be found.
Your 30 minute guided tour will follow a wooden boardwalk (with handrails) through a 200 metre limestone cave system. Once inside, you will see thousands of glow worms spread across the ceiling surrounded by breath taking stalactites and stalagmites.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Kawakawa Public Toilets by Hundertwasser, 60 Gillies St, Kawakawa 0210 New Zealand
Then, a short drive to Kawakawa, location of the world famous "Hundertwasser Toilets" one of the few public toilets seen as an international work of art, designed by the expatriate Austrian artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser, features the use of recycled materials from the local community.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: The Stone Store & Kemp House - Kerikeri Mission Station, 246 Kerikeri Road, Kerikeri 0230 New Zealand
Our tour takes us to the Kerikeri Mission Station which was established in 1819. There are two significant buildings, "The Stone Store" built in 1832, originally used as a Missionary Society warehouse and the adjacent "Kemp House", New Zealand's oldest building completed in 1821/22 by missionary carpenters and Maori sawyers.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Haruru Falls, Waitangi River, Paihia New Zealand
Departing Kerikeri we take in the splendour of the Haruru Falls, Haruru is Maori for “Big Noise”.
Duration: 15 minutes
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Entry/Admission - Kawiti Caves
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
We took this tour from our cruise ship Solstice on Jan 18 2019, we were a group of 6 adults, and we were met by our guide Ken, who provided an excellent tour which was very informative, and he was very personable and the tour included the Haruru falls, and Glow worm caves which were our favorites. We also stopped by a chocolate factory, and visited the Kerikeri mission and Puketi Kauri forest area. If was a full tour day and we were back to our ship pier location on time, and happy with our very educated tour. Thanks Ken!
Our driver Ken was excellent. He was very informative.We had a van for 6 of us. We visited a Glow Worm Caves, Chocolate Factory and stopped at some water fall. Walked through a small rain forest. Ken was a wealth of knowledge. Enjoyed this tour.
We ther thoroughly enjoyed the excusion with the driver/owner Ken. We compared experiences with another couple on our cruise and concluded the our excursion was better than the Celebrity-sponsored outing they took becuase we saw more places, had a smaller group/more personalized experience and less waiting for stragglers. Ken was knowledgeable, gentile and accommodating.
The locations were beautiful but the transport between locations was uncomfortable and too small for 8 people. We were in an 8 seater car with 5 taller, larger framed people. Every time we went over a pot hole, speed hump or dip in the road the back of the car would bump heavily and scrape on the road. Very uncomfortable travelling between the destinations. Please review the transport used on this excursion. The transport used should be suitable for all.