Bay of Islands Shore Excursion: Puketi Rainforest Guided Walk
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Puketi Nature Trail, Puketi Kauri Forest, Kerikeri New Zealand
After pickup from your cruise ship, you'll head to the Puketi forest to start your rainforest adventure. Follow your friendly local guide along well-marked paths as you explore this subtropical forest. You'll learn about the flora and fauna and walk among towering kauri trees. Kauri trees are found only in New Zealand’s North Island and are among the world’s most ancient forests, with ancestors in the Jurassic period.
Your guide will share legends of the Maori people and stories from European colonial history as you stroll by thundering waterfalls and magnificent trees, including two of the largest kauri in New Zealand. Keep an eye out for native birds such as the rare kokako, which was only recently reintroduced to the forest. You'll marvel at the variety of the 370 recorded species of plants – some not found anywhere else in the world!
You’ll witness conservation efforts in the forest, learn the Maori names for some tree species and come to understand the ecology and legends of the kauri tree. Also enjoy a stop for refreshments around the halfway point of your walk.
At the end of the tour, you will be returned to your ship with great memories from this excursion into the lush Puketi forest.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return to the Bay of Islands port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
Duration: 2 hours
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Local guide
- Covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Minimum age is 5 years
- A maximum of 8 people per booking
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking (Full day tour if option selected)
- Medium fitness level required on half day walk, higher level of fitness required on full day walk.
- Please bring good walking shoes, sunscreen, hat and day pack.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
Enjoyable few hours learning about the flora and fauna of the rainforest shown by a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic guide.
Helen was a very enthusiastic tour guide. Her excitement and knowledge about all the life in the Rainforest really added experience. Very enjoyable experience.
We missed the start of our tour due to a delay on the ship and we were worried we would have missed it. Ian was waiting on the dock. As we had missed the main tour he took us on a private tour which was amazing. Very knowledgeable. Pointed out lots of plants and animals during our walk through the rainforest. Fantastic company, Highly recommend
Ian was an excellent guide. Had a great hike in the woods and learned much about the local area.