Wine Country Day Trip to Tokaj (from Budapest)
As you travel, get the lowdown on this UNESCO-listed region, whose volcanic hills and warm, wet climate are perfect for viticulture and the growth of ‘noble rot,’ a mold that brings out the best of the legendary local dessert wine, Tokaji aszú. Hear how winemaking began here 1,000 years ago and about the region's old wine cellars, many dug into the volcanic rock and coated in the musty mold.
After roughly 2.5 hours, admire Tokaj's rustic villages and leafy vineyards as you approach your first winery. Meet your winemaker host and then set about sampling between five and eight wines. As you sip, discuss the notes and aromas, and hear about the local furmint and hárslevelu grapes favored here.
Over the course of the day, visit two other wineries and sample a cross-section of wine, including some of Tokaj's growing band of dry whites and sweet aszú varieties. Sample five to eight wines at each stop, and tour a cellar system and vineyard to learn about the winemaking process.
Around midway, head to a local restaurant for a delicious 3-course lunch. Venues and menus change with each tour, but your meal will typically include Hungarian classics such as broths, stews and roasts, along with desserts such as strudel.
At the last winery, pair your tastings with local cured meat and cheese — the perfect foil for your wines, and another insight into Tokaj's culinary heritage.
After, drive back to Budapest where your tour finishes with a hotel drop-off.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Onboard mineral water and snack
- 5-8 wine samples at each winery
- Lunch - 3-course lunch
- Food tastings
- Additional food and drink
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Minimum numbers of 2 apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
The Tokaj region wine tour was amazing, far better than we could have imagined! Tamas was a fantastic tour guide, very informative, friendly and communicative. All three winery visits were great, with cellar and vineyard visits and extensive tasting sessions. The middle visit also included a hearty home-cooked lunch provided by the owner. It felt like we were esteemed personal guests! Highly recommended.
This was an amazing day. Our guide was Robert and he was very knowledgeable about both wine and Hungary. The wineries we visited were very different from each other, but both had equally great wine - I ended up buying a bottle to take back with me from each of the wineries. Going down into the wine cellars is such a site. You can just see the history and how old the cellars are. I would recommend this Tokaj wine tasting day trip to all wine lovers.
This tour was amazing!