El Chalten Full-Day Hiking from El Calafate with Lunch
After pick up at your hotel, we will take the mythical Route 40 bordering the Argentino Lake, and crossing the Santa Cruz River.
Before reaching El Chalten town we stop at the viewpoint of Viedma Glacier from where you can appreciate a beautiful view of the glacier, Cordillera and emblematic Cerro Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre.
We will arrive to the mountain village of El Chalten after 3 hours of travel and 220 kms. After the Park Ranger welcome us, we will continue to where we can star the self-guided hiking trails that run from El Chalten and that lead us to the most wonderful viewpoints of the Cerro Fitz Roy or Cerro Torre.
Our trekking guide will advise us about the various options according to our physical state and he will deliver maps of the enabled trails. For lunch, we will carry a box lunch in our backpack so we can enjoy it in the middle of the road, also, depending on the climatic conditions, we can have lunch in a restaurant near the area.
Between 3 pm and 6 pm, depending on the season of the year, we will meet the guide to start the return to El Calafate.
• Lago Argentino, El Calafate Argentina
• Cerro Fitz Roy, El Chalten Argentina
• Parque Nacional Los Glaciares, Avenida Del Libertador 1302, El Calafate Z9405AHY Argentina
- Lunch Box
- Beverages (non-alcoholic)
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (centrally located hotels only)
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Guided or self guided trek
- Map of the Trekking Trails
- National Park fees
- Breakfast, snacks and bottled water (available for purchase)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Minimum 2 adults per booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 12 years
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- A large amount of physical activity is involved
- Operates in most weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Comfortable walking shoes are mandatory
- If you will not be arriving at your destination within the specified reconfirmation period, please reconfirm with the local service provider prior to travel, or upon arrival at your destination. Please note that departure times and locations may vary slightly.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
This was one of our 5 all day excursions we booked in El Calafate. Overall, it was a good tour and we enjoyed it a lot. Would recommend. Pick up was later than 9 am - I am guessing because other guests running late and us being one of the last pick ups. Long drive to El Chalten but bus is comfortable and adequate stops along the way. Do yourself a favor and get the Alfajores cookie if they have it at the La Leona hotel. Anna was our trip guide and she did a good job explaining things along the way - both in Spanish as well as in English. Once you get to El Chalten, you have 2 choices - 8 km hike at your own pace or a 1 km hike and walk around town. We opted for the 8 km one. It is a Medium level difficulty for casual hikers. The first 45 mins is the toughest because you ascend a lot during that time. Boxed lunch was decent. Views were spectacular. On this day, Mt. Fitzroy was under cloud cover but we enjoyed our hike anyway. Went to the river point on the way down. There are some very good options in town if you want to grab a drink and use the restroom at local bars and restaurants after you finish your hike and most of them have a great happy hour. We enjoyed our day and would recommend this tour.
No tour in Patagonia falls short from being exciting and this one was not the exception either. Amazing tour, excellent guides, again, among the very best that I have ever seen. Very knowledgeable. The trekking although somewhat strenuous, is worth doing it!!!