El Chalten Full-Day Hiking from El Calafate with Lunch
After 75 minutes, you'll arrive at the former Hotel Paso la Leona, where you will have the option of enjoying some coffee and homemade cakes (at own expense) before continuing your journey. Before reaching El Chalten, you'll take a break at a viewpoint near the Viedma Glacier, with the Fitz Roy and Torre Hills looming in the distance.
When you arrive at El Chalten 3 hours later, you will be welcomed by rangers. You'll then continue on to the starting point of the self-guided hiking trails, where your guide will hand you maps and provide you with advice about different hiking options, based on your physical fitness. You'll be given a boxed lunch to savor during your hike. If you do not wish to hike independent, you can accompany your guide on a trail on their choosing. From May to August, given the low temperatures of the area, lunch will be served in a restaurant
On the afternoon, you'll return to a previously agreed upon meeting point for the return trip to El Calafate
- Lunch Box
- Beverages (non-alcoholic)
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (centrally located hotels only)
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Guided or self guided trek
- Map of the Trekking Trails
- National Park fees
- Breakfast, snacks, coffee/tea and bottled water (available for purchase)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Minimum 2 adults per booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 12 years
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- A large amount of physical activity is involved
- The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- Operates in most weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Comfortable walking shoes are mandatory
- If you will not be arriving at your destination within the specified reconfirmation period, please reconfirm with the local service provider prior to travel, or upon arrival at your destination. Please note that departure times and locations may vary slightly.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
This was one of our 5 all day excursions we booked in El Calafate. Overall, it was a good tour and we enjoyed it a lot. Would recommend. Pick up was later than 9 am - I am guessing because other guests running late and us being one of the last pick ups. Long drive to El Chalten but bus is comfortable and adequate stops along the way. Do yourself a favor and get the Alfajores cookie if they have it at the La Leona hotel. Anna was our trip guide and she did a good job explaining things along the way - both in Spanish as well as in English. Once you get to El Chalten, you have 2 choices - 8 km hike at your own pace or a 1 km hike and walk around town. We opted for the 8 km one. It is a Medium level difficulty for casual hikers. The first 45 mins is the toughest because you ascend a lot during that time. Boxed lunch was decent. Views were spectacular. On this day, Mt. Fitzroy was under cloud cover but we enjoyed our hike anyway. Went to the river point on the way down. There are some very good options in town if you want to grab a drink and use the restroom at local bars and restaurants after you finish your hike and most of them have a great happy hour. We enjoyed our day and would recommend this tour.
No tour in Patagonia falls short from being exciting and this one was not the exception either. Amazing tour, excellent guides, again, among the very best that I have ever seen. Very knowledgeable. The trekking although somewhat strenuous, is worth doing it!!!