Small-Group Full-Day Easter Island Highlights South and East
1) Ahu Huri A Urenga: This single statue has a remarkably strange characteristic - it has four hands. It has been dubbed "The Astronomer" for being aligned to the sunrise at winter solstice - June 21st.
2) Vinapu: The most perfectly fit rock wall, Ahu Tahira, is found in this area. It was engineered with such skill that many draw conclusions on contact with the Inca Empire.
3) Hanga Poukura: This is a beautiful coastal area of interesting, rough lava rock formations has several unique features. Several statues are in a strange and mysterious manner buried in a line, with only the backs being visible. The ahu is one of the most well-made ever with blocks that are cut for a better fit. Hanga Poukura area also has an amazing natural phenomena that has been occurring constantly since this these areas were created by lava flows almost a million years ago - a blowhole. The blowhole of Hanga Poukura is one of the best ones of Rapa Nui, and when the ocean is right, water will spurt up into the air as waves come in.
Lunch (not included): Please bring some cash (US$10 - US$40 per person) during the tour to get the lunch you prefer.
4) Rano Raraku: The volcano that was converted into a mass production factory of gigantic megaliths. Virtually all statues were carved here. One day the workers stopped, and the hundreds of statues that were left behind haven't moved since.
5) Ahu Tongariki: The biggest and most impressive monument of Rapa Nui with its 15 mighty moais.
Please have your national park ticket ready for your tour, and bring it with you at all times. National park tickets are bought upon arrival at the airport and are 80 USD in cash per person. This is required by all visitors to Easter Island.
Approximate ending time is 4pm, and you will be returned to your hotel.
- Local professional driver/guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Bottled water
- National park ticket (US$80 or CLP54,000 per person, bought in cash upon arrival to airport)
- Tour not available for cruise ship passengers
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Tours are bilingual, performed in English and in Spanish by the same guide.
- The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- Not for cruise ship passengers
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
Note: Be sure you purchase the Rapa Nui Nacional Park ticket prior to taking this tour ($80 USD). Now on to the tour...Benjamin was our guide for the day and he was awesome! He helped give us a great understanding of each Rapa Nui spot we visited along the southern and eastern part of the island including the iconic moai statue sites of Rano Raraku and Ahu Tongariki. Lunch was hosted at Markus' home and it was fantastic. Markus, his wife, and their family were very kind and welcoming and the lunch they made for us was amazing! Definitely will recommend this tour to my friends and family. Thank you for the memories! - Nolan
So I actually took a two day tour with the same company Easter Island tours , you definitely need the two day tour but if you can only do one day then definitely do the day that goes to the quarry. The highlight of the trip is that the owners of the tour company had us at their home for a delicious lunch and sang several beautiful songs for the group.
Had a great time Benjamin was very knowledgeable,friendly made our trip enjoyable . Learn so much about the island and his history
Sofia Fernandez was the guide/driver and probably the best day tour guide that I have ever had. She guided non-stop for over 8 hours and filled us with the history and magic of the island. She had stories and information and answers to all our question. The van was nice and the small group allowed us an easy pace. I was picked up on time at my hotel. Yamileth at Easter Island travel answered all my questions via e-mail before my trip. Take this tour with the North and West full-day and you will have seen all the best sites. This was a great experience that I will never forget.
The tour was great and at thorough pace which we liked. Sophia was amazing. She was fun knowledgeable and had answers for all our questions.
Excellent tour with a knowledgeable guide - Sofia!! It would be very possible to rent a car or ATV and see the sites on your own, but hearing the history, legends and stories of the Island were very, very worth the price. Everything was perfect and well worth the cost!