Across North Crete
About this activity
We start our tour driving along the north coastal road, passing the resort city of Georgioupolis, popular for its fine beaches, to the city of Souda, port of Chania, to visit the principal Allied War Cemetery designed by architect Louis de Soissons and next, to visit the Venizelos Graves at the historical location of Profitis Ilias in Akrotiri where the tomb of Eleftherios Venizelos lays, one of the long-standing prime Ministers Greece. We continue to the city of Chania for a short visit before we return to Rethimno to visit its Fortezza. The Fortezza is the citadel of the city of Rethimno. It was built by the Venetians in the 16th century (1573) to protect the city and was captured by the Ottomans in 1646. By the early 20th century many houses were built within the citadel. After visiting the Fortezza we will have lunch in Rethimno and continue towards the Monastery of Arkadi, which constitutes a landmark of architecture and civilization considering the magnificent facade of the church, the highly developed spiritual tradition as well as the flourishing development of fine arts. However, the holocaust, which took place in 1866, gave the monastery an eminent place in history, elevating it to an eternal symbol of freedom and heroism, which is acknowledged the world over. We continue our the city of Heraklio, where we visit the archaeological site of Knossos and its palace sited 5kms southeast of the city of Heraklio. On the ruins of the Neolithic settlement was built the first Minoan palace (1900 B.C.) where the dynasty of Minos ruled. The site was discovered in 1878 by Minos Kalokairinos. The excavations in Knossos began in 1900 A.D. by the English archaeologist Sir Arthur Evans and his team and they continued for 35 years. After the visit of the site we return to Hotel.Read more Show less
- Air-conditioned Motorcoach
- 1 Lunch at local restaurant (Rethimno)
- Professional guide included
- VAT and all legal taxes included
- Entrance Fees at the museums and the archaeological sites
- The pick-up and drop off from your hotel is not included in the price. From Heraklion and Rethymno there is no extra charge, but from other pick-up points (depending on the location), there may be an extra charge.
- Drinks and beverages during lunch
- Porterage service
- Anything that is not specified in the program as included
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Our company is not responsible for the client’s failure to appear at the meeting point for the booked tour or activity.
- Last minute cancellation of flights or inability to disembark from a cruise ship, is not our company’s responsibility, therefore any refund requests due to such incidents will not be accepted. Should the client be aware of such a change, he/she is requested to communicate with our company more than 24 hours before the tour or activity starts, in order to discuss possible date or time amendment (subject to availability)
- Refund requests for last minute cancellations (up to 24 hours before the tour or activity), for any reason, will not be accepted.
- All clients are kindly requested to send their preferred meeting point and location until 3:00pm of the previous date, regarding their pick-up for the booked tour or activity. Should they fail to do so, our company will do anything it can in order to locate them (telephone, email, etc), however it is not responsible for any failure to meet them. Meeting points could be, anywhere on the island and the information necessary is either the hotel name or the name of the cruise ship they are arriving with. In the occasion that they are staying at an apartment, clients are requested to send us a google map, a nearby hotel or any information that would help us locate them. Any delay of behalf of the client (up until 15 minutes that we will be waiting for them) affects the transfer schedule and disrupts the smooth conduct of the tour/activity.
- For no-name accommodations, our company will set the most convenient location for the pick-up.
- For accommodations that are located in a pedestrian zone, our company will set the best possible pick-up point.
- Our company is not responsible for knowing whether the client is supposed to book transfer or not. The transfer schedule is prepare less than 24 hours before the operation, therefore we cannot predict such necessity.
Similar activities in Heraklion Click to discover other experiences