Mauna Kea Summit and Stars Small-Group Adventure Tour
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Hawaii Forest and Trail, 73-5593A Olowalu St, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740-2613
Travelers can shop in our retail space at our Kona headquarters as well use our bathroom facilities and enjoy complimentary coffee and water.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Mauna Kea Summit, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI
Start your Hawaiian day like never before… from the top of the tallest volcano on earth. See the morning sky light up in brilliant shades of red, orange, purple and blue
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Maunakea Visitor Information Station, 177 Makaala St 6 Miles Uphill from the Intersection of Route 200, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720
Enjoy a hot picnic style dinner before making your way to the summit
Duration: 45 minutes
- Hooded parkas and gloves
- Hot picnic dinner
- Hot cocoa and cookies
- Private star show with telescope
- Local taxes
- Select Hotel/Resort Pick-up & Drop off
- Entry/Admission - Hawaii Forest and Trail
- Entry/Admission - Mauna Kea Summit
- Entry/Admission - Maunakea Visitor Information Station
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 16 years
- Due to the high altitude; this tour is not suitable for those with respiratory, heart or circulatory conditions, poor health, or pregnancy
- Scuba divers should be aware of altitude dangers
- Please advise your parka size (small, medium, large, x-large or xx-large) and choice of meal (Teriyaki Chicken, Kalbi Beef Ribs, or Vegetarian Thai Curry) at time of booking. If you do not indicate this at the time of booking, you will be required to call and advise them of this information directly.
- There is minimal walking on this tour, the maximum being about 150 yards
- We recommend that guests wear closed-toe walking shoes or hiking boots, long pants and bring a light sweatshirt or jacket
- The access road to Mauna Kea is four-wheel drive only, so it can be bumpy. The custom off-road transit vans will get you to the top and back in safety and comfort. The transit vans can carry a maximum of 14 passengers
- Snow is seasonal at Mauna Kea, with the heaviest snowfall occurring during the winter months
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
Mauna Kea summit was close due to protesters. Weather did not cooperate. But guides did everything possible to make this tour on western slopes of Mauna Kea as interesting as possible. And they succeeded. We have seen number of interesting birds including pallila and good telescopic observations of the sky that had opened only in the last moment. So all in all it was interesting tour.
Mat was great, had a great time and he was very knowledgeable when it came to picking out the stars and constellations.
This tour was my favorite on the Big Island! Sunset at the top of Mauna Kea was amazing and I enjoyed learning about the constellations. Justin was our tour guide and he was very knowledgeable and went out of his way to accommodate everyone in the group. Highly recommend this tour!
Jeff was a good guide for our adventure to the summit...Viator arranged for a tasty dinner and interesting dining spot. The weather cooperated--beautiful, clear sky--still cold and high altitude, but all manageable.Great and unique experience for Hawaii..
One of the must have experiences if you visit the Big Island. Sunset and star gazing on Mauna Kea is a not soon to be forgotten experience. If you can, ask to go with Justin Potter an extremely knowledgeable and personable guide. Dress warm and heed the safety instructions. The air is cold and thin over 13,000 feet! The meal provided was filling and delicious. Our only hesitancy in rating the tour 5 stars is the cost is fairly steep and the tour bus was showing it's age.
I am a first time visitor to Hawaii and with little time booked this tour conducted by Hawaii Forest n Trail.i had to hire a taxi to reach their place outside Kona The tour was well organized and our tour guide Jeff impressed me from the word go. We had an early dinner before the Mauna Kea climb which was so nicely arranged .Theyhad gloves and warm clothing for everyone since it was pretty cold up the mountain.Jeff was a nonstop tallker knowledgeable witty n very helpful. He made the tour so enjoyable.The highlight of this tour is the stargazing activity. Since it was a moonless night the sky was brilliant and Jeff was absolutely delightful explaining astronomy and the galaxy so well Anso.utely recommended
The trip to Mauna Kea was absolutely beautiful and interesting. Our guide Taj was he best!. He is very knowledgeable about the history and culture. The stop at he sheep ranch where we had our lunch was very interesting. It also helped to get acclimated to the altitude. The observatory was amazing as well as looking at the stars. It also got pretty cold up at 14,,000 ft. Those jackets were definitely a must! This trip was really terrific!