Athens Neighbourhood Small Group Walking Tour
Venture off the beaten path to places that only the locals know about to understand the ever-changing spirit of the city. Visit historic landmarks, iconic neighborhoods where traces of the reign of the Ottoman Empire can still be found and ancient ruins. Follow your guide through bustling markets, around royal palaces and near ancient rivers and tombs.
Learn about the missing link between this city’s ancient past and modern present day. You’ll have a deeper understanding of one of Greece’s best cities when the tour concludes in the Gazi neighborhood, a now-hip area that surrounds the city’s old gas works.
- Local guide
- Map of the places visited in the tour
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
Our tour guide, Antigoni Dionisiadou, did a fantastic job of showing us around several modern-day neighborhoods of Athens that showcased the different ways in which modern Athenians live and the various values they espouse. We visited up-scale and working class neighborhoods; educational and merchant areas (including butcher and fruit/veggie markets, flea markets and even a department store with newly-discovered Roman ruins preserved in situ in the current children's department). Antigoni also showed us a World War II detention center run by the Nazis. Along the way, we stopped for a coffee break at a local tavern. Although it was billed as a group tour, the two of us were the only ones who signed up (a great loss to those who didn't take advantage of this opportunity), so we were treated to essentially a private tour. HIghly recommend this tour to get a nuanced view of present-day Athens and its inhabitants.
Our guide was Katerina she was so sweet and wow her knowledge of Athens was impressive. We all agreed it was our best day in Athens...
Fantastic tour. Really get to see the stuff of the usual tourist beat. Most of the tour has good shade, but the last half hour is sunny. Take a hat.
Our tour guide Christina was just amazing. She gave us a very interesting and informative tour of the city. We loved it!
we had an excellent young man as our trout guide and he took us all over the parts of Athens that we had not seen yet-great walk!