Athens Meteora Monasteries Day Trip by Rail
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Meteora, Kastraki, Kalambaka 422 00 Greece
Catch the train from Athens Train Station at 7:20am to Kalabaka and admire the beautiful Greek landscapes during your trip. Arriving in Kalabaka at 11:30am our VIP Limo Mini Bus will be waiting you at the Kalabaka Train Station with our highly educated Tour Guide to begin your customized Special Panoramic Midday Meteora Tour. Take an amazing 4.5 hours Meteora tour, see all 6 monasteries and visit inside 3 of them. Your Tour Guide will give you full attention and care as the group will be small. Plenty of photo opportunity stops and many secrets places that only locals know will make your tour a life time experience. At the end will be transferred back to Kalabaka to catch the train back for Athens. The train departs at 5:15pm and you will arrive in Athens at 09:30pm.
Duration: 5 hours
Stop At: Great Meteoron Monastery, Kalambaka 42200 Greece
See Great Meteoron , the biggest and oldest monastery of Meteora
Duration: 1 hour
- Pickup and drop-off at Kalambaka train station
- Local , expert in the area, Tour Leader
- Transport in Meteora by deluxe, air-conditioned minivan
- Customizable 5-hour tour around Meteora
- Panoramic views of all six monasteries
- Free WiFi on bus
- Panoramic Meteora map
- All taxes
- Visit inside the 3 most popular monasteries
- Roundtrip Train Tickets (Athens - Kalambaka - Athens)
- Pickup and drop-off at Athens' Larissa train station
- Entrance fees to monasteries (approx. 3 euro each)
- Meals and soft drinks
- Guide inside the Holy Monasteries
- Entry/Admission - Meteora
- Entry/Admission - Great Meteoron Monastery
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Visitors entering the monasteries must be dressed modestly. Women must wear long skirts and long-sleeved blouses. Men must wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts
- Supplier is not responsible for any train delays that might affect the duration of the tour. Your guide and minivan will be waiting for you at Kalambaka train station and are guaranteed to return you to the station in time to catch your return train to Athens
- Your train tickets are e-tickets and will be sent to 3 days before the trip
- Vegetarian meal option available
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
Despite the train trip being incredibly long, this was an amazing trip. Our guide, Yannis, was local, very knowledgable and shared a lot of information with our group. Our driver, Saggis (sorry if I spelt that wrong) was great. Well worth the trip. Word of advice. Take your own snacks for the train trip. Not much of a selection on the train.
very unique place. would recommend spending more time to see other things in the area.There are places from early humans in the area.
While meteora is a great scenic place to visit owing to its landscape and rich historical and cultural significance, the tour itself is too long and tedious especially with children. the weather was very hot when we visited in june and the walks were too much for the kids. as far as the tour operator is concerned, basic facilities such as tickets, pick up etc was taken care of. however, other facilities typically available in a day tour were found wanting - the bus had no wifi, the guide did not accompany us inside the monasteries and hence we did not really get into details of how things worked inside the monasteries, the place we stopped at for lunch was not good and the tour fee did not include the moastery entrance (3 euroos per person per monastery). Could certainly have been better
So this train ride is very long. You have to prepare yourself for the ride there and back to Athens. BUT, IT IS SO WORTH IT!! For months while planning my Greece trip, I knew I had to make it to Meteora. I went back and forth on driving, train, tour and so on. I finally decided to go with this tour and I am so happy I did. The tour guys were so great. He was patient with us, gave us lots of knowledge on Meteora and Greece, and took our photos. When I make it back to Greece, I will definitely make it back for sunset. It is such a beautiful place.
It's a long day to be travelling by train, however the single track railway up through the mountains has some great views. As we could see this service will soon be ending as a new two track high speed service will be used in the near future, this may be a good thing as you will be able to stay longer at Meteora :-
The travel from Athens to Meteora took 5 hours by train and i would recommend booking first class as it is worth it... Meteora is breathtaking. The tour was well on schedule and we got to see 5 monasteries and visited 2 of them. Amazing tour. Highly recommended.