2 Days Private Tour:Persian War-Thermopylae,Marathon,Delphi,Salamis&Plateaus
Then we will drive to Thermopolis were 10 years after the Battle of Marathon , King Leonidas and the 300 Spartans heroically faced the Persian army. In the historical centre of the site you will enjoy a 3D movie, travelling through time you will feel the presence of all who died for their freedom under a foreign conqueror. To complete the visit you will see the statue of Leonidas standing right opposite Kolonos Hill where the persisting Spartans left their last breath.
After we will drive to the site of Delphi, an ancient Greek sanctuary with a PanHellenic character dedicated to god Apollo. It functioned as an Oracle and was considered ‘the naval’ the center of the word and is today a symbol of Greek cultural unity. In the site you will visit the Temple of Apollo where Pytheia spoke to the oracles, the theater and the stadium. While in the museum you will be able to see the famous charioteer and Gold Ivory statues. After the site we will have our lunch at the modern village of Delphi. Before we leave we will stop at point known for its great view, you will see the Corinthian sea, the port of Itea and the valley full of olive trees (olive sea) and our last destination will be the village of Arachova. A mountainous village built on a cliff 900m above sea level very close to the Parnassus ski resort. You will have time to make an evening walk and enjoy a local dinner after settling at the hotel.
2nd Day: On the following day we will drive on the slopes of mountain Parnassus by the city of Leivadia to reach the battlefield of Plataies where the last decisive battle was held between the united ancient Greek cities and the diminished Persian army 476 BCE. Lastly passing through the city of Thebes we will reach the coast of Attica and the Saronic Gulf and make a stop at Perama Port to see the narrow sea path of the island of Salamis where the historical naval battle took place between the Athenians and the Persians. There you will have a view of the exact point where the Athenian navy lead by Themistocles destroyed the huge Persian ships. One of the victories that defined the future of the Greek homeland. After a traditional Greek lunch we will take our way back to Athens.
- Fuel surcharge
- Local taxes
- Bottled water
- Driver/guide (The drivers are not a licensed to accompany you on your walk to the top of the Acropolis or inside any other site or museum. If you require a licensed guide to tour the sites with you, you need to hire one additionally. If you have any questions you can contact us on the phone number provided by Viator)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
- Transport by private vehicle
- Accommodation (If you need our help we work with some of the best hotels in each area, we only need to know the number of the rooms)
- Entrance Fees
- Airport Pick Up and drop-off (Additional cost)
- Licensed Tour guide on request (Additional cost)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- The drivers are not a licensed to accompany you on your walk to the top of the Acropolis or inside any other site or museum. If you require a licensed guide to tour the sites with you, you need to hire one additionally. If you have any questions you can contact us on the phone number provided by Viator.
- The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
Our Persian War tour was incredible. We saw everything we wanted to see and more. Our tour guide, Alex, was friendly, knowledgeable, and accommodating. We loved that he had the perfect balance of giving us all the information we needed without feeling the need to talk non-stop to fill any moments of quiet. If you're thinking of going on this tour and want to learn more about the history of the wars, don't hesitate to book it and request Alex if you can!