The Best of Athens Full Day Private tour
Your driver will drive you towards Queen Amalia Avenue by the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the House of the Parliament located at the famous Syntagma Square (Constitution Square).
Then the private tour continues towards the Panathenian Stadium, which is also known as the Kallimarmaron Stadium, the site of the first modern Olympic Games in 1896 in Athens.
The tour continues towards Panepistimiou Avenue where you can see the Catholic Cathedral of Athens and the Trilogy of Neoclassical Buildings of Athens.
Temple of Parthenon in the Acropolis of Athens, the Academy of Athens, the Athens University and the National Library will definitely impress you with their aesthetics and architectural design.
The tour to Athens continues with a drive to the Temple of Zeus and the Hadrian’s Gate that blend the Ancient and Roman Era in Athens. The destination now is the crown of the city, the imposing Acropolis of Athens with its glorious Parthenon.
The Parthenon is the most characteristic example of classic architecture of the 5th century BC, constructed to house the immense statue of Goddess Athena, the protector Goddess of the city.
You will get to see the Propylaea, the Temple of Athena Nike and the temple of the Erectheion that is mostly known due to the statues of the Caryatides, the Porch of Maidens.
Once you descend from the Acropolis, you have the chance to visit the New Museum of the Acropolis that is built at the feet of the Sacred Rock and admire the marbles of the Parthenon and an impressive collection of artifacts and relics found on the Acropolis during the excavations.
Later on, the private tour will drive you through Plaka, the picturesque quarter of the city, where you can see lovely little shops with handmade crafts and gifts, the Ancient Agora of Athens where the philosophers and orators of Athens used to present their views and Roman agora.
The full day tour to Athens will also give you the chance to get a glimpse of modern Athens as well, visiting the fish and meat market in downtown Athens and walking by the Monastiraki market, which is the famous flea market of the city.
However, a visit to Athens is never complete if you do not get to taste the famous Greek cuisine; the tour will take you to a traditional Athenian restaurant or tavern, where you can indulge to the colors and flavors of the most known Greek dishes (home cooked food).
Finally, you will enjoy the breathtaking views from Lycabettus Hill, which is the highest hill in the city of Athens, to take some spectacular pictures and an image of the entire city in your hearts and minds.
- A professional English speaking driver with good knowledge in history and culture of Greece, to guide you till you enter archaeological sites and museums. Tour drivers are not licensed to companion you inside the archaeological sites and museums. If you'd like to have a licensed by the state tour guide to escort you inside the sites and museums, we can arrange it for you with an additional cost. Licenced by the state tour guides are freelance and it is subject of availability on bookings day!
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle appropriate for the size of your group
- Road tolls and local taxes
- Hotel pickup and drop-off in Athens
- Piraeus Port pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
- Fuel surcharge
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities following the program mentioned above
- Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost to escort you inside the archaeological sites and museum according to the program.
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Wheelchair accessible
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
Six of us went on this tour in May and were a little disappointed. Our driver was polite and professional, but in reality he was more a chauffeur than a tour guide. He drove us to the various sites, but then simply dropped us at each for us to explore on our own. With this being our first time in Athens, we were expecting more. We likely would have been able to accomplish the same using taxis and spent less money. If you are looking for a dedicated car van for the day and don't want or need history or background on the city or sites, then consider booking this tour. However, if you're actually looking for a guided tour, look at other options.