High Adventure Day Tour from Keswick
From Ambleside you will travel through the Langdale Valley, a favourite of rock climbers and walkers, as your guide shares information about the region and its culture. Ascend both the steep Wrynose and Hardknott Passes and soak up the spectacular views of the remote fells as you trace the narrow, twisting roads through the peaks.
Stop briefly at the top of the passes, take the opportunity to marvel at the awe-inspiring views to Upper Eskdale, Scafell and Scafell Pike, England’s highest mountains.
Arrive in the Eskdale Valley, and take a memorable ride on the heritage Ravenglass and Eskdale railway, affectionately nicknamed ‘La’al Ratty’ (little railway). Trundle through picturesque woodlands and countryside, and stop for lunch (at own expense) at one of the quaint valley inns.
Afterward, continue to Wastwater, a beauty spot once voted as commanding ‘Britain’s favorite view.’ Drink in the panoramas that encompass Wastwater, England’s deepest lake, and the surrounding high screes and mountains, including epic Scafell Pike. Then, stop at 14th-century Muncaster Castle, owned by the Pennington family. Stretch your legs around the castle's gorgeous, 18th-century gardens, famous for their azaleas, camelias and rhododendrons; and admire the castle exterior as you stroll. If you wish, pay a visit to the Hawk and Owl Centre, home to a variety of prize owls and hawks, located in the grounds.
Then, relax on your return journey to Keswick, passing the beautiful Loweswater and Crummock water!
- Transport in a small mini-coach
- On-board commentary in English
- A ride on the Ravenglass and Eskdale narrow gauge railway
- Entry/Admission - Muncaster Castle
- Entry/Admission - Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway
- Food & drink
- Additional Entrance fees
- Driver’s gratuity (Optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be 5 years or older
- Confirmation is received at the time of booking
- There will be a designated lunch stop where you’ll be able to purchase lunch
- There are toilet stops on route
- Minimal walking is involved
- Our vehicles are not currently wheelchair accessible
- Luggage storage is available at the Windermere Information departure location
- Seats cannot be reserved
- Each passenger must have their own seat
I am so glad I booked this tour! It was a great way to see The Lake District as a first time visitor, my partner thoroughly enjoyed the day too even though he has been to The Lake District before. We saw the most amazing views. Malcolm, the driver was so informative, he was a great guide and very skillful and calm driver, especially on the steep, narrow roads! We had every confidence in him. The tour was great value for money fitting lots in but it didn't feel rushed. The train ride was fun with very pretty views and the castle grounds and bird of prey display was brilliant. The beautiful weather was the icing on the cake. Being picked up in Keswick was very convenient as that's where we were staying. We will definitely book a tour next time we come, probably the 10 lakes tour. It's such a great, hassle free way to see so much in a day!