Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour from Ketchikan
- Coffee, tea and hot chocolate
- Raincoats and ponchos provided, as needed
- Food and drinks, unless specified (snacks, such as chips and chocolate bars, are available for purchase on board)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Minimum age is 5 years, no exceptions due to coast guard regulations.
- You MUST BE ON BOARD THE ALEUTIAN BALLAD for check in 15 minutes before your departure time.
- If you are concerned about seasickness, please note that this tour stays in the calm, protected waters of the Inside Passage and does not go out into the open ocean; large waves and rough seas will not be encountered. You WILL NOT be in the Bering Sea.
- Please note: additional transportation is not required, as it is a short, easy walk to get to the fishing boat from any downtown Ketchikan hotel or cruise ship.
- Wheelchair accessible, please advise at time of booking if wheelchair assistance is required.
A brilliant way to learn the life of a Bearing sea fisherman. Great commentary from all of the very captivating staff... outstanding couple of hours.
Overall I feel the excursion was really good, the whole boat crew was excellent very informative, I think Andy was his name and he was awesome the same with the boat captain. Feeding the bald eagles was probably the highlight. Bad news now I feel the traps were staged, one was for certain when they brought up fake crabs, the others I feel were staged too, was hoping to see real fishing. Overall was really good but don't get your hopes up about the surprise of what are they going to catch when they already know what's in the traps.
Great trip, entertaining stories, interesting vessel. They took you to 4 or 5 different "fishing" spots where they pulled up the crab traps, and explained what it would look like if this were a commercial crabbing vessel instead of just tours.They were open and honest that most of the crabs and traps had been pre-arranged (meaning the crabs inside were not caught, but placed in). We were able to hold the crabs and take pictures with them.They stopped by an Eagle's nest and fed bald eagles for about 20 min -- and there were 8 or 9 that would fly around and dive bomb and eat the fish. This was incredible!In addition to the Box crabs and other crabs you could hold, they had caught an Octopus, and caught prawns and shrimp. They do not actively try to catch King crabs, but have an aquarium on the deck that had 8-9 King crabs that you could look at but not hold.Overall, really cool and interesting trip. But note: the crabs they are catching are not caught live.
Very informative and fun. Smart hard working crew. Get to learn about what life is like as a crab fisherman - hint, it is hard and dangerous.
This was a great excursion. We totally enjoyed seeing and holding prawns and different types of crab and hearing the harrowing tales about Andy and Dave’s experiences at sea.
I had read good reviews on this tour. They were spot on! These folks keep it entertaining. The bald eagles were amazing. I highly recommend this tour.
We'd do this again in a heartbeat! Highly recommend. Best opportunity to see lots of eagles up close! The crew are hilarious!