Small Group Kolkata Uptown Food Tour
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Heritage Tram Tours, Kolkata (Calcutta) 700069 India
Greet your private guide outside Esplanade metro station at 5pm and catch the train up to a district little visited by foreigners and known for its cuisine.
When you disembark, you'll dive straight in with an exotic lasse found at a local street vendor before hopping into a tiny joint that's been whipping up some of the best masala curries in Kolkata for more than a century. As you eat, your guide will tell you stories of old Calcutta.
Jump aboard a local bus for a short journey up to one of Kolkata's most celebrated seafood restaurants where you'll try their signature jumbo prawn covered in chingri coconut cream sauce and a mouth-watering curried fish mousse steamed in a banana leaf. After leaving you'll clamber aboard one of the old rickshaws, the only place where these wooden carts still exist in India and take a short tour of the area en route to the next foodie stop. Gorge on a prawn kabiraji at a legendary kitchen started by a Scot in the 19th century.
Kolkata might seem busy, but your guide will take you on a walk down through a peaceful district pointing out temples and local life along the way. As you meander the backstreets of old Kolkata, you'll try tasty titbits from the city's most famous onion bhajis to zingy gram salads made from herbs and pulses.
Sip on local ginger infused chai tea before jumping on board one of the old trams that have been plying the streets of Kolkata for over a century for a short journey to College Street. Here, piles of school book sellers are passed by university students on their way back from lectures. Drop into a local cafe to sample a famed coconut sherbet drink and then dive into Bengali treats at a nearby sweet shop.
The evening finishes in the faded grandeur of old colonial coffee shop where students are busy debating, ceiling fans whirl overhead and waiters serve coffees in traditional garb.
This isn't just a foodie tour, it's a tour into the heart of Kolkata.
Duration: 4 hours
- Taste more than 14 different Bengali food and drinks
- Small group tour limited to 8 exclusive guests
- A private trained local foodie guide
- Bottled water and refreshing Indian drinks
- All transport costs including the metro, tram, bus and rickshaw
- All local taxes and booking fees
- Bottled water
- Alcoholic drinks
- Items of a personal nature
- Pick up and drop off from your hotel
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Infant meals not included. The tour isn't suitable for prams as you will need to get on and off transport
- You will need to be able enough to get on and off local transport
- The last stop and coffee shop is a little smoky. If children are on the tour, this stop may be exchanged for a different one.
- There is some moderate walking some wear comfortable shoes and bring appropriate clothing and an umbrella in rainy season
- Please get in contact with us if you have any dietary requirements
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
Excellent tour - crush on the metro but hey! Visited places we would not have otherwise gone to and the walk around the Bengali district with the guide, Avik, was very interesting. The food was excellent and the guide knew the locals and the vendors. This is a tour easy managed for most as there are frequent stops to eat and sit down.