Nara Afternoon Tour - Todaiji Temple & Deer Park from Kyoto
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Todai-ji Temple, 406-1 Zoshicho, Nara 630-8211 Nara Prefecture
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Nara Park, 469 Zoshicho, Nara 630-8211 Nara Prefecture
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Kasuga Shrine, 61 Saiinkasugacho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto 615-0015 Kyoto Prefecture
Duration: 40 minutes
- Professional guide
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel drop-off (select locations in Kyoto only)
- Entry/Admission - Todai-ji Temple
- Entry/Admission - Kasuga Shrine
- Food and drinks
- Entrance to Treasures Hall and Manyo Botanical Gardens at Kasuga Shrine
- Hotel pick-up
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Some parts of road on this tour are gravel and steep inclines
- During the Gion Festival (July 15-16), drop-off service to Karasuma Kyoto Hotel is not available due to traffic regulations
- The tour may not visit Nara Nagomikan if it is closed or due to traffic conditions
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Nara Nagomikan may be omitted from the itinerary if it is closed on the day of the tour, or as a result of traffic congestion
- Participants will walk from the parking lot to Todai-ji Temple (about 15 min one-way).
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 44 travelers
The bus tour is pretty much like any other one you can book. You get on the bus at the designated time (very punctual), you go to the pre-determined destination, take photos, then get back on the bus to do it over again until you get back to your starting point. For us, it was good enough because we didn't want to think about how to get to Nara from Kyoto (The trains in Japan are easy enough to navigate! We were just particularly lazy for this part of our trip). Overall, it served its purpose, but not something you should get if you want to take your time to look at the sights and really soak in the environment.
This tour was just ok as it could have been so much better. First of all it's a huge bus tour so be prepared. The good news is that they do start on time and stick to a schedule, the bad news is that it takes 1 hour to get there and back so after they walk you through Nara to see the Temple, they give you literally 20 minutes of free time, which is crazy as that also includes the time it takes to walk back to the bus. So basically you traveled around the world, drove 1 hour all the way to Nara and back and only get 20 minutes with the Deer? This is unacceptable as they should give people a full 1 hour. They are in such a rush to get to drive to the next Shrine and turn around and get back home that there is no free time. If anything they really need to start 1 hour earlier to give people some free time to roam and interact with the Deer. I spoke to many people who were upset and 1 couple who took off on their own as they wanted more free time. My recommendation is to take the train and go there on your own.
This tour was very enjoyable. Saw a lot of deer. Temple looked very nice. Enjoyable.