Death Road: Mountain Bike Tour on the World's Most Dangerous Road
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: La Cumbre, Highway 3, La Paz Bolivia
We drive up to the stunning pass where we get our top of the line Kona full suspension bikes and safety gear before having a detailed safety speech and heading down!
Duration: 40 minutes
Stop At: WMDR Yungas Road, La Paz Bolivia
The World Famous Death Road! Make sure you do it with a reputable company with a great safety record. There are no safety standards for operators, so choose wisely as this is a once in a lifetime ride!
Duration: 4 hours
Stop At: San Juan waterfalls, Coroico Bolivia
The georgeous waterfalls that we not only see but ride through! Here we have a snack before heading on!
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Cotapata National Park, La Paz Bolivia
The stunning beauty of the Andes is on display as we ride down from 4800m.
Pass By: Yolosa, N Yungas Rd, Bolivia
This is where the ride ends and we go to the amazing Animal Refuge!
- Professional guide
- Transport by minibus
- Use of bike and equipment
- Lunch - Buffet lunch
- Drinks and snacks
- Use of High End Safety Gear (Helmet, Gloves, Knee/Elbow Pads, Pants/Jacket, etc)
- Gravity Buff!
- Reusable Water Bottle
- Entrance into Senda Verde Animal Sanctuary
- 2 Entrance fee of 25 bolivianos each (approx. US$3.60) for the communities
- Additional food and drinks
- Entry/Admission - WMDR Yungas Road
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Approximate riding time is 4-5 hours
- 90% of the ride is downhill
- Minimum age is 18 years
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Not recommended for participants with back problems, heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- Suitable for both beginners and experts
- A good level of fitness is required
- All passenger heights, glove size and helmet size must be advised at time of booking
- Insurance company details and country is required at time of booking for all participants
- Note: Return times vary depending on traffic.You will be back in La Paz between 8pm and 10pm
- This tour is operated by Gravity Assisted Mountain Biking, a company widely recognized for maintaining the highest levels of safety standards and equipment
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
Fantastic tour, safe, organized, and truly excellent, knowledgable guide with Scotty from Scotland. Highly highly recommend this tour. Brand new bikes through Kona and excellent gear, guidance and equipment.
This is a very well organized tour. It's for adrenaline junkies, mountain bikers, and really, anyone afraid of heights that wants to challenge themselves. I fall in the latter category. My husband, meanwhile, falls in the former. We lucked out with the weather and were treated to clear skies and breathtaking views -- in January, no less. Our guides were Robbie and William, and we couldn't have asked for anyone better. Our driver was Cumpa, and does he know how to drive! From start to finish, the tour was wonderful. Robbie was excellent about allaying my fears of falling off the side of a cliff. They're total pros. On the downhill ride down the WMDR, you stop at 8-10 points along the road, where Robbie gives you a brief overview of what might be coming -- is there a wipeout corner, a waterfall, a stream? He tells you all about what to expect so that you can take it as safely as possible. The other great thing is that they don't rush you -- you can go at your own pace. There's always someone at the front of the group, and then a guide at the back of the group usually, unless they need to go up ahead to take pictures of the group. If there is no guide at the back, you can rest assured that the van is following and will come to your aid if something goes awry which nothing did!. All in all, it was an amazing day and I was able to overcome my fears and feel a sense of accomplishment. Safety is Gravity's biggest concern and it's absolutely evident in the way their tours are organized. We would definitely do another trip with Robbie and crew again, the next time we visit Bolivia.
I had a great time on the Death Road Tour. I felt 100 safe at all times and the guides and driver were safe, helpful, and professional. The guides even took pictures and uploaded them to Google Drive after our tour. So don't bother bringing a camera unless it's small as plenty of pictures will be taken along the way. Also, be sure to bring a change of clothes. At the end of the tour, there are showers with hot water...yes!! and you'll definitely want to take advantage of them after cycling half of the day. The only thing that keeps me from giving this review 5 stars is the following: When I originally booked my tour, the tour company, Gravity, offered hotel pickup. However, some time between my booking and my tour date, they changed their policy. AND they did not notify me that pickup was now in a central location. The location was convenient to my hotel, so no biggie. But, the fact that the company NEVER contacted me to let me know is a bit problematic. I found out that their policy had changed after I emailed them to confirm the time. Definitely not a professional way to do business.
Awesome. The ride down was great. The van ride up after was truly terrifying. Robbie, the guide, was very professional and safety-minded. Also, he was very informative. When I go back to Bolivia, I will definitely do this again.