Small-Group Évora Day Trip from Lisbon with Olive Oil Tastings
Shaped by the styles of many periods, the well-preserved city of Evora has a rich culture, history and artistic heritage. You’ll visit many of its important historic sites, first of which is St Francis, a Gothic-Manueline church that is home to the 16th-century Chapel of Bones (Capela dos Ossos), whose walls are covered with human bones, mainly skulls.
Next, see the ruins of the 1st-century Roman Temple and admire the Gothic- and Renaissance-style palace of King Manuel, where Vasco da Gama was told to explore the sea route to India. Then see the famous Cathedral of Évora (Sé de Évora), built between 1280 and 1340, and explore with your guide the picturesque streets and Gothic arches surrounding Giraldo Square (Praça do Giraldo), the city’s main square.
Have free time to grab lunch in one of the local restaurants (own expense) and roam the historical streets on your own, soaking up the atmosphere or browsing through charming souvenir shops. Then meet back up with your guide, who will lead you to an olive oil tasting at a specialist shop where you will savor samples of five olive oils.
The last stop of your day trip is Almendres Cromlech -- a megalithic complex that dates back to 4000 BC and is one of the largest groups of structured menhirs (large stones that stand upright) in Europe. During its thousands of years of existence, this site was used to celebrate the solstice and equinox.
- Hotel pickup (or nearest location possible) only in certain areas of the city (center). It may be required to get to a standard pick-up point (i.e Cais do Sodré train station or Saldanha metro station)
- Drop-off at 2 centrally located points: Restauradores square / Marquês de Pombal
- Small-group tour (8 people max.
- Professional but informal local guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Live commentary on board
- WiFi available in the minivan
- Tastings of 5 different olive oil types
- Entry/Admission - Capela dos Ossos
- Guided visits inside monuments
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please contact the company at least 24 hours before the activity for exact pick-up location and time (normally between 08:00 AM to 08:45 AM).
- Pick-up at your hotel (or nearest location possible) only in certain areas of the city (center). It may be required to get to a standard pick-up point (i.e Mercado da Ribeira or Saldanha areas). Parque das Nações area is not available for pick-up.
- Please note that you may have to walk a short distance from your accommodation to be picked up.
- Drop off (done in only two locations: Restauradores square or Marquês de Pombal).
- Please be reminded that there may be more than one language spoken during the tour (max. two languages).
- English, Spanish and Portuguese are available all year round. French, Italian, Russian and Romanian ONLY ON REQUEST (according to availability).
- Please note that infants and children occupy a seat.
- Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking.
- Child rate applies only when accompanied by, at least, 1 paying adult.
- Maximum of 8 persons per vehicle.
- It's a good idea to wear tennis shoes or other appropriate footwear for the tour and bring along a bottle of water. In summer bring your sunscreen and in winter it gets very cold so make sure you bring a jacket.
- A minimum of 2 people and maximum of 8 people per booking is required: there is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved.
- Not wheelchair accessible.
- In case of adverse weather conditions (e. g. heavy rain), the tour will not be canceled, unless there are warnings and alerts by official organisms.
- We are not responsible for any traffic congestion in the city, resulting from cultural, sport and religious events, or even demonstrations / strikes, etc. However we will always offer alternatives to avoid these situations; one of them is to change the pick-up and drop-off locations. Unfortunately, this may be transmitted without prior notice.
Both of our guides Paulo and Celso were excellent. There were many things to see including the beach where McNamara rode the largest wave. The guides were patient with my sprained ankle and went out of their way to help. Although the sites of Obidos and Nazare were awesome, with Obidos being very crowded, the guides were the real prize. This private tour was a bargain.
Our tour guide Ricardo was the bomb! He was awesome by being accommodating and informative throughout the tour experience. My friend and I were traveling from Ireland and made a mistake in our booking of accommodation. Therefore, we had our luggage and was frantically searching for a place to store our luggage so we don't have it for the tour. Ricardo was so accommodating, he allowed us to leave it in the minivan when he sensed our distress. So happened, my friend and I were the only ones on the tour that day, so it felt like a private tour. We started the experience by getting picked up in one of the best-airconditioned vans that we experienced while traveling in Europe. When we got to Evora, we got to sample different olive oils. My friend and I bought some back. After, we visited iconic monuments such as the Temple of Diana. Also, Ricardo explained the history of the cork trees and the cork making process. Evora is a small and beautiful town. Ricardo gave us plenty of free time to go shopping in the town. I would recommend you save some euros and buy cork products in Lisbon. It is cheaper in price while having the same quality. Overall this was a wonderful tour of the beautiful countryside of Portugal.
We enjoyed our trip to Evora and our guide Michaela was great!
Daniel picked us up right on time in a sparkling clean van and drove us to Evora. He was knowledgeable, delightful, and very considerate of my travel partner who has some trouble walking. Wonderful day spent in a different part of Portugal, learned and saw a lot and was delivered back. I highly recommend this trip.