Mt Pilatus Experience with the world's steepest Cogwheel Railway
At Fräkmüntegg, you can participate in activities, if you wish, such as a ride on Switzerland's longest summer toboggan or climbing through the rope park (own expense). When you're ready, board the 'Dragon Ride,' an aerial cableway with a spacious interior, cockpit-like design, and large windows that give you the impression of being in a helicopter—only the flying is even more exhilarating. Admire views over Lake Lucerne and the Alps when you reach the summit of the mountain, and decide if you want to stay inside the panoramic gallery, relax on the terrace, climb one of the peaks (5-10 minutes), or get a bite to eat at one of the restaurants (own expenses).
When you're ready to head back down, take the world’s steepest cogwheel railway (since 1889) for a trip past streams, steep rock faces, and fields of Alpine flowers. The railway brings you to Alpnachstad, marking the end of your Mt. Pilatus experience.
9:00 Departure by gondola to Fräkmüntegg
9:45 Change to the cable car 'Dragon Ride'
9:50 Arrival at Mt. Pilatus; enjoy the view and stroll around
10:50 Departure by cogwheel train to Alpnachstad
11:30 Arrival in Alpnachstad
Click on the 'View additional info' link to see the departure timetable for both stations.
• The gondolas are closed for maintenance from 23 October to 10 November 2017; access from Alpnachstad only.
• The cogwheel train is closed from 20 November to around mid-May; access from Kriens only
- Cable car ride (except during maintenance)
- Cogwheel train ride (from mid May to November 17th)
- All taxes, fees, and handling charges
- The listed price does not include a CHF 5 parking fee (per day)
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Don't miss the last transportation down to the valley.
- Operates in almost all weather conditions; please dress appropriately
- Cableways are not in operation in the case of storms
- Only printed vouchers will be accepted
- Please note: You can start the tour from Kriens or Alpnachstad
- The gondolas are closed for maintenance from 21 October to 8 November 2019; access from Alpnachstad only.
- The cogwheel train is closed from 18 November to mid-May; access from Kriens only
- It is not possible to book a specific time slot
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
My girlfriend and I had to walk close to a mile from the bus to get to the tram - not too bad, but longer than we thought. There was a pretty long wait even for those of us that had tickets. The trams were fun - not scary at all, although I thought it would be. The weather was cold - but very tolerable. We had lunch in one of the hotel restaurants - okay - hotel, fast food. There was lots of snow (I'm from Atlanta GA and haven't seen that much in years!). In all - it was a very enjoyable afternoon until the walk back down to the bus - but even that was okay.
Good morning, I booked an excursion to Mount Pilatus for two, which happened on May 15, 2019. I have two issues, one, the price dropped since booking and secondly, I purchased a tour which included the cog railway. The cog railway was not in service and hasn't been for some time. I feel we did not get the experience we paid for. Please advise as to what can be done. I book Viator regularly, just this spring I have booked six, in Ireland, Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Last year I booked in Holland and Belgium. Thank you Geoff Vail
This is an absolute MUST. Start to finish it was one of the best trips in my 2 week holiday in switzerland
The information on the website needs to be updated. The directions and phone number were incorrect.