Local Island Day Trip from Hulhumale
Dependent on the choice of the tour, we will cruise north or south of Male.
Cruising north, visit the islands of Himmurfushi and Huraa offering firsthand information about local island life. Our experienced guides will accompany you on a tour of each island sharing information on their culture and tradition. In Huraa, gain insights into the simple life led by the villagers, visit a boat building yard and view the process of making Maldivian dry fish. Discover the mangrove swamps and freshwater lake and learn more about this fragile eco-system. At Himmurfushi, take lunch at a local restaurant and visit souvenir shops where you may purchase local handicrafts and mementos.
Cruising south, visit Gulhi and Maafushi. In Gulhi, wander the quiet streets of this small local island. Take time out to relax on the beach and listen to the waves breaking on the white sands. At Maafushi experience life on the island that has led the way with guesthouse tourism. Take lunch at a local restaurant and visit souvenir shops where you may purchase local handicrafts and mementos. For those feeling active, there is time to participate in the many watersports on offer here.
In between island visits, it is possible to snorkel and discover the beauty of this underwater paradise. Sites vary, depending on weather and current conditions, but you can be guaranteed an abundance of colorful tropical fish and coral life.
Following a safety briefing on responsible snorkeling, put on your provided fins, mask, and snorkel and jump into the warm, azure waters of the Indian Ocean. Keep your eyes open for sea turtles, reef sharks, and rays the Maldives is home to, youngsters will want to be on the lookout for Nemo (aka clownfish).
The snorkel guide will not only act as your 'spotter' to point out marine life that may not have caught your eye but will assist less confident or inexperienced snorkelers, ensuring the equipment is comfortable and feel safe in the water. Buoyancy aids are available if needed, but participants should have the ability to swim unaided.
The itinerary concludes at the starting point in Hulhumale.
- Return speedboat transfer from Hulhumale’ jetty
- Lunch at Local Cafe
- Snorkeling Equipment
- Buoyancy aid
- 500 ml water
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Professional guide
- Personal expenses - snacks, souvenirs
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A maximum of 8 people per booking
- Participants should have the ability to swim unaided
- Things to bring: Dry bag, beach towel, sunscreen, water, snacks, camera.
- What to wear: Swimwear, loose lightweight clothing, sunglasses, sun hat.
- Comfortable shoes for walking tours. We would request female guests to dress with modesty (shorts/skirts/dresses should at the very least covering the upper thigh and shoulders/chests should be covered) when visiting local islands where we will be visiting the local community and the homes of local families.
- The Maldives is a Muslim country and therefore alcohol is not available on local islands.
- The Maldives is a Muslim country and care needs to be taken in relation to the dress code on local islands. Whilst it is acceptable for men to wear T-Shirts and shorts or swim shorts; females should avoid causing offense by maintaining a more conservative approach to clothes by wearing T-Shirts, loose shorts or sarongs. Whilst the islands we visit are more tolerant of guests wearing traditional beachwear, females should avoid wearing bikinis and swimwear unless on an uninhabited island, picnic island, sandbank, screened off tourist beach, dive boat or resort island
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at the time of booking
- Vegetarian, Halal, and gluten-free options are available, please advise at time of booking if required
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
We had an outstanding experience with this tour. The guide went above and beyond our expectations in every way throughout the day. Outstanding snorkeling, lovely beaches , terrific lunch , along w hands on personal touch made this a lovely tour from beginning to end. We were sorry the day had to end
The meeting place was at the Hulhumale Jetty which was a 20 min. walk from my hotel. Upon meeting my guides (2) Mahee and Farish I found out that I was the only one on the tour that day. I chose to visit 2 islands South of Male. We headed out to Gulhi first with out boat captain, visited a shipping yard where they build boats. Walked around the town as Mahee explained the history of the island and it's people. Even got to taste fresh coconut juice and the flesh which is totally different from say a Hawaiian coconut. We then headed to the next island of Maafushi. Walked around the town, there's even a prison there and once again Mahee provided the history behind this island as well. We then had lunch at a local restaurant that had outdoor seating. Food was good! Company great! First time I tasted a chip that is made from garbanzo beans! Tastes close to having a chicharron but better! We then headed back North and stopped at a snorkeling spot in the ocean. Mahee was great to make sure I wouldn't drift away in the current by holding my hand. Saw a variety of beautiful fish. He suggested another spot to snorkel but I was a bit exhausted so declined and luckily we did as I could see from a distance some overcast skies with a dark rain cloud looming over Male. The current would've been stronger and water more choppy making snorkeling difficult. On the way back, we spotted a pod of pilot whales and tried to be quiet so as not to scare them to go underwater. And yes, we got caught in the rain heading back to Hulhumale. Rough seas and battered rain but it was an adventure! Since I was the only one on the tour, it felt as if I was spending a day with friends! Mahee even got us a "lift" so we wouldn't get wet from the rain, I was brought back to my hotel instead of walking. Farish was also great and he had to take the ferry back to Male as we departed since that is where he lives. The two of them definitely know their home and history of the Maldives, so book this tour if you want to see how the Maldivians live on other islands besides Male. Not as much motorcycles running around other islands, it's much more calmer, peaceful, and less crowded. Glad I did this tour so I could experience a different side of the Maldives.