Denali National Park Walking Tour
Walking with an experienced local naturalist is really a great way to see the complicated connections of plants, animals, and people within the splendor of true wilderness in Alaska. The boreal forest in the lower elevations gives way to specialized sub arctic ecosystems like taiga and tundra. The permafrost areas and fantastic mountains are home to plants and animals highly adapted to the harsh elements. Your guide will stop frequently to explain this in depth.
Trails are best described as moderate, with tree roots, hills, and mud in places. This is Alaska so bring your outdoor gear; sturdy walking shoes, water, jacket and rain gear, along with your camera and curiosity of this great land. Some of the basic equipment is available, including rain gear, water, overboots and trekking poles (upon request).
This tour is not meant to be a workout, but it is three consecutive hours of walking on sometimes unimproved trails. Average pace is about one mile per hour with frequent stops. There is time for resting, drinking, conversing and even picking berries in season.
• Denali National Park, AK
• Denali Backcountry Guides Day Tours, One Glacier Way, Denali National Park and Preserve, AK 99755
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Expert naturalist guide
- Some outdoor gear is available for use (e.g. rain gear, overboots, trekking poles, water)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities
- If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Operates in all weather conditions; please dress appropriately
- Not recommended for child aged 11 and under
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Trails are best described as moderate, with tree roots, hills, and mud in places. Bring your outdoor gear including sturdy walking shoes, water, jacket and rain gear. Some basic gear is available, including rain gear, overboots, trekking poles and water.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
Jeff was a wonderful tour guide for our walk through Denali.He was very knowledgable about the plants and the park. At the end of our hike, Jeff dropped us off and went back for the van. He lost his keys, but found another Viatour driver to pick us up and take us back to the van. He was very concerned about us and demonstrated great problem solving.