Merida Street Food Walking Tour
At your first tasting spot, choose between empanadas, polcanes (masa stuffed with lima beans, chiles, and pumpkin seeds), panuchos (fried tortillas filled with black beans), or salbutes (deep-fried tortillas with toppings). Then, move on to a taco tasting where you can try the two most famous varieties in the Yucatan: cochinita pibil (slow-roasted pork) and lechon (suckling pig).
Move on to “El Marlin Azul” and sample two types of seafood tacos. On the way, visit the main square and take a look at the beautiful colonial buildings overlooking it, while your guide provides historical and cultural context.
Finally, walk to a gelato store, where you can choose between dozens of local fruit flavors.
- Food tasting
- Local and professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- A minimum of two people per booking is required
- A moderate amount of walking is involved—comfortable walking shoes are recommend
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
Thelma was extremely knowledgeable and answered all our questions! I would highly recommend this tour to add to your Merida vacation.
My friend and I were the only two on the tour, which really allowed us to ask questions and move through the market at our own pace. Our guide was wonderful!
Couldn't rate this food tour highly enough! The food in the Yucatán region is special enough to begin with, but our guide was very friendly and informative, taking us to the 'hidden' spots in the winding Merida market, a seafood spot and finally an ice cream parlour (with unique flavours!). All the food and drink was included as part of the tour and provided an authentic and special experience.
Our guide Azul was great! We started off with touring the main market in Centro (Mercado Gálvez). We learned how the market was laid out, where to find fish, local produce, regional produce, meats, spices and everything else. We sampled fresh fruits that had never heard of before (our favorite was caimito), we tasted panuchos, salbutos, tacos de cochinita pibil, empanadas de Chaya. We learned about the different spices and chiles of the region.We the left the market and tried seafood tacos at El Marlin and finished with ice cream and sorbet at a new place called Pola.Great tour.
Great tour of busy local market for foodies. It is the real thing. Don't miss this if you are in Merida.