Private Tour: Truffle-Hunting Experience from Naples with Lunch
Continue onward to Monti Picentini Regional Park to the town of Volturara Irpina, beautifully nestled at the foot of Mt Terminio. Surrounded by mountains that tower to some 6,562 feet (2,000 meters) above sea level, the town and surrounding countryside is where Campania's famed truffles grow.
Meet an expert truffle hunter and his hunting dogs, two Lagotto Romagnolos — a breed that originates from Italy's historical Romagna region. These canines are known for their sharp senses, and are specifically trained to hunt truffles.
Collect your equipment and start your easy-paced hike, winding up the mountain to a height of roughly 4,593 feet (1,400 meters). The hike is suitable for all, although a good standard of physical fitness and sensible walking shoes are essential. Follow the hunter as you make your way through the forest, and watch as the dogs work their magic, sniffing the earth for hard-to-see truffles hidden under the forest shrubbery. Once the dogs have scored a truffle, stop for an on-the-spot tasting of this prized treat with some fresh ricotta cheese — the perfect pairing to counterbalance the truffle's earthy, pungent flavor.
Your tour includes roughly three hours hiking around the forest in search of truffles. Stop along the way to admire and take photos of the fabulous landscape, and learn about Italy's history, traditions and techniques of truffle hunting. After descending back down the mountain, meet back up with your driver and travel to a nearby restaurant for a 3-course lunch. Each dish is made with local Campania products and enhanced with the rich, complex flavors of local truffles. Wash your meal down with some Italian wine, and follow it up with a rich coffee and digestif (perhaps grappa or amaro).
Finally, relax on your scenic journey back to Naples, and finish your day with a hotel drop-off.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Professional guide
- Truffle tastings with cheese
- 3-course lunch with wine, coffee and a liqueur
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please make a note of any specific dietary requests in the 'Special Requirements' field when booking
- Please wear comfortable clothes and appropriate shoes for walking
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
LOVED IT!!! If you are willing in invest in a life time experience-this is a must do in Naples. Incredible experience with successful discovery of truffles. Hike with hunting was stunning too. Great guide and truffle hunter lead this experience. Finished wonderful day off with lunch while enjoying some of our truffles. They sealed the rest for us to take to enjoy on our remaining trip.
This tour was amazing!