Viator VIP: Palace of Versailles Tour with Private Viewing of the Royal Quarters
Follow your guide to the State Apartments, where you’ll see two of the 17 rooms – the King’s Chamber and the Council Study. Then head to the fabulous Hall of Mirrors. Your group will be among the first of the general public to arrive at this famous room so you can enjoy the sumptuous setting in all its glory. Walk down the spectacular hall, lined with 357 mirrors that reflect the windows on the opposite wall.
Next, the exclusive part of your tour truly begins as you leave the crowd behind and pass through the velvet ropes into the palace’s restricted area. See the following Royal Quarters of Louis XV and Louis XVI:
• The library of Louis XVI, said to be one of his favorite rooms
• The dining room where Louis XV held dinners for lords and ladies
• The clock room with its clock that has a crystal globe showing the planets revolving around the sun
• The ‘corner room,’ which contains a cylinder desk belonging to Louis XV that is considered one of the most outstanding pieces of furniture in the worldYou will then visit one of two additional royal sites, depending on daily availability: the Royal Opera House, built in 1770 to celebrate the wedding of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, or the Royal Chapel, where a series of paintings and sculptures depicts the notion that kings were chosen by God.
The guided portion of your tour now ends, and your friendly guide will answer any questions you have. From here, you have a few options to complete your Versailles experience. You can explore the other 15 rooms that make up the public State Apartments independently. You can enjoy lunch at Angelina’s restaurant located inside the palace (own expense). Or you can head outside and enjoy the beautiful Gardens of Versailles – a 1,977-acre (800-hectare) oasis of groves, sculptures, labyrinths and fountains. Depending on the day of the week that you are at the palace, you may catch one of the summer musical events – either the Musical Gardens or the Musical Fountains Show (known as the Grandes Eaux musicales), both of which bring the gardens to life with classical music; see the Itinerary section below for more details.
The gardens are also home to La Petite Venise, a popular restaurant with a lovely terrace, located in the former stables by the Grand Canal. It is your choice if you’d like to eat here, but you must make your way here to meet your guide for the drive back to Paris.
- Small-group tour (maximum 16 people)
- Breakfast at restaurant ORE by Alain Ducasse
- Access to the private Royal Quarters
- Professional guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minibus with complimentary water for the journey
- Entry/Admission - Palace of Versailles
- Entry/Admission - The Trianons & The Hamlet
- Entry/Admission - Grand Canal
- Entry/Admission - The Royal Chapel
- Entry/Admission - The Royal Opera (L'Opera Royal)
- Entry/Admission - The Hall of Mirrors
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Booking this tour gives you priority access to the Palace of Versailles. Please note: all visitors must pass through metal detectors at the security check point. Please expect to wait 10 minutes to clear security.
- Food is not allowed inside the Palace of Versailles
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible
- This tour is not suitable for anyone with reduced mobility
- Due to the nature of this special-access tour, the itinerary changes each time. Access to palace rooms varies and is based on availability. The order in which you visit the rooms may change and it is possible that you will see two of the 17 State Apartments plus the Hall of Mirrors at the end of your tour, not the beginning. On rare occasions, both the Royal Opera House and Chapel unexpectedly close due to private events or concerts. Because these itinerary changes are beyond our control, no refunds or discounts will be issued.
- Please note: In the afternoon tour you have the option to visit the gardens or the Versailles castle first
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
We were 5 friends visiting and really enjoyed this tour. Our guide was fantastic and the private rooms were absolutely worth the cost. We also hired golf carts to visit the gardens and it was perfect: highly recommend this tour!
Wow! Well worth the extra price for this in just skipping the line alone! Much less the fact that the tour of the private quarters gets you out of the crush of tourists to be able to enjoy and appreciate the palace. Very knowledgeable guide who took exceptional care of us!
The tour was lovely. The tour guide was awesome. I personally got really sick when we got to this tour so I didn't get to fully enjoy it and we had some rude people that wrecked the beginning part of the tour for us not the tour's fault...and actually the guide was quite nice to them. Versatile was a dream...just wish my body would have cooperated.
Great tour for the money. They allow a lot of free time but its not nearly enough given the size of this place! not their fault though, the tour was great as was the Palace. The breakfast was a bit of a joke as it was really just coffee - but outside of that we were very satisfied.
I would highly suggest this tour especially if you want a very extensive, private tour. Comfortably transferred to Versailles in a van with guide. You are met at Versailles by an museum employee that gives an incredible tour of places not visited by the regular ticket, PLUS you skipped that line which was HUGE advantage. The only thing I would mention was the personal Versailles guide did not wait long enough at some palace places to take pictures....it was a fast paced but indepth. At least an hour with a personal guide in the private apartments and palace. We then had enough time to rent the electric cars outside the palace and travel the grounds comfortably. It is ACRES and ACRES so if you would like to see the other palace buildings on the other side of the grounds, I would suggest this extra option because walking would take hours to and fro.