Azores Whale Watching Expedition Tour
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Azores Whale Watching TERRA AZUL™, Marina of Vila Franca do Campo 4, 9680-187 Islands, Portugal
You will meet us at the Marina of Vila Franca do Campo for check-in, at the specified time.
The journey starts with a short informative briefing introducing to Cetacean (Whales and Dolphins) local species, their natural habitat, communication, migration, behavioral patterns, and onboard safety.
Everyone will follow the Guide and Skipper to board their designated boat, and go out to sea. Our lookout high inland will then locate our friends, and provide directions via VHF Radio to where the boat will travel - initially at high speed.
Marine Wildlife can be observed yearlong. Sperm Whales are resident alongside 3 additional cetacean species and an abundant marine biodiversity.
While approaching our friends carefully, your Guide will keep you informed, collect data for research, and is always available throughout the tour to provide answers to any specific questions - feel free to ask.
Duration: 3 hours
Pass By: Islet of Vila Franca do Campo, Parque Industrial de Vila Franca 500m Offshore, Vila Franca do Campo, Sao Miguel 9680-114 Portugal
Upon return to the Marina, the boat will tour around the Princess Ring Islet of Vila Franca do Campo, for a close look at the volcanic marvel and resident wildlife.
- Knowledgeable Marine Wildlife Guide
- Experienced Skipper
- Zodiac RIB Boat (12-28 pax)
- Impermeable Top and Life Vest
- Entry/Admission - Azores Whale Watching TERRA AZUL™
- Hotel Pickup and Drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- It is important to understand that, although our data shows 98% spotting chance for cetaceans in an average of 3 species per tour, 4 resident species (including Sperm Whales) from up to 28 sighted in a year, and even though we only go out by indication from an inland high lookout, it is not possible to control their behavior, or to guarantee that you will see specifically Whales, or any other species at a specific time frame.
- Minimum age is 4 years
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Service animals allowed
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 28 travelers
This excursion TOTALLY EXCEEDED our expectations!! We had gone out whale watching before in a 2-deck ferry off the coast of Boston (with total capacity of 100+ people and packed to the max). It was disappointing, tiring and a "Rip Off." The whales (if any) were far from the boat and there were always lots of people obstructing our view. However, before this Cruise (which stopped in Ponta Delgada, Funchal Madeira and 6 Ports in Spain (Mediterranean), we saw a TV documentary about Whale Watching in the Azores up close and personal by taking excursions on Zodiac Speedboats which only seat appx 25 passengers (plus the Marine Biologist / Whale Spotter and the Hostess / Photographer). This IS NOT the ONLY Whale Watching Tour company in Ponta Delgada, BUT IT IS BY FAR THE BEST! Their name is TERRA AZUL and they are located on the quite and virgin-like North End of the Island; NOT where ALL other Whale Watching Tours sail from (near the Cruise Ships). They will pick you up by the ship for 40 Euros (well worth it). Just make sure they know the name of your ship and where it will dock.
A little out of Punta Delgata but the small town marina experience was well worth it. Allow time to stroll the town.....like having two excursions in one....well worth it rather than company at the ship dock. Great find Viator.....