Akaroa Shore Excursion: Christchurch Highlights City Tour
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Christchurch Botanic Gardens, Rolleston Ave, Christchurch New Zealand
Once known at ‘the most English city outside of England’, Christchurch is now a city on the move…sometimes quite literally! This small group tour will showcase the best highlights of this unique city from the comfort of your modern, air conditioned vehicle. Explore the city centre – where the majority of the Canterbury rebuild is taking place. See new buildings spring up, as well as the fascinating renovations on some of the city’s heritage buildings. You will have approximately 2 hours to enjoy the interesting sights at your leisure.
• Upgrade (all at extra cost) and ride the Christchurch Tram, go for a punt on the river, or take a Botanic Gardens tour.
Photograph the remains of the city’s 2 destroyed cathedrals, and see the temporary cardboard cathedral put up in their place.
Stop At: Banks Peninsula, Christchurch-Akaroa Road, Christchurch 75810 New Zealand
Join our bona-fide local guide for a day exploring Christchurch and Banks Peninsula – and see how New Zealand’s 2nd largest city is rebounding after the devastating earthquakes of 2010/11. This is an intriguing tour you won't want to miss.
Stop At: Christchurch Cathedral, Cathedral Square, Christchurch New Zealand
The Cardboard Cathedral, formally called the Transitional Cathedral, in Christchurch, New Zealand, is the transitional pro-cathedral of the Anglican Diocese of Christchurch, replacing ChristChurch Cathedral, which was significantly damaged in the 2011 Christchurch earthquake
Stop At: Avon River, Christchurch New Zealand
The Avon River / Ōtākaro flows through the centre of the city of Christchurch, New Zealand, and out to an estuary, which it shares with the Heathcote River, the Avon
Stop At: Port Hills, 575 Summit Road, Christchurch 8081 New Zealand
Admire the panoramic and breathtaking views of Christchurch and Canterbury from atop the Port Hills.
Pass By: Lake Ellesmere, Christchurch Akaroa Main Road Waihora, Christchurch 2004 New Zealand
Enjoy the scenery of Lakes Forsyth and Ellesmere, as well as the Canterbury Plains and Southern Alps on the 90 minute drive to the city.
Stop At: Shore Trips and Tours NZ, Akaroa Pier Beach Street, Akaroa 7520, New Zealand
Our team has been delivering world-class Shore Excursions for over 16 years. It all started with owner Ian - one man and a beloved Rolls Royce car.
Today, the number of vehicles and tours has changed, but the philosophy hasn’t – every customer is treated like one of the family, and we will make sure you have an unforgettable day. We have over 100 years combined tour guiding experience so you know you are in capable hands (and if you’re lucky you may even get to travel with Ian – he still loves to get behind the wheel!).
Travel in a modern, air conditioned vehicle with a passionate local as your host. We specialise in small groups to allow an intimate and personalised experience. Every tour is guided and commentated from start to finish - our guides delight in showing off our little corner of the world. And, we guarantee to have you back to the ship on time!
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Experienced, local driver/guide
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Entry/Admission - Shore Trips and Tours NZ
- Lunch is not included but we do allow time for you to enjoy lunch in the city
- The cost of any additional options
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- The tour start time is set at 10:00am but on some days there may be delays in the tender transfers to shore, so please ensure you catch an early tender so the tour can start on time as the transfer from ship to shore can take 30 minutes. If you arrive early you can browse the local shops in Akaroa
- If the ship's time in port does not match the tour start and end times then the tour will be adjusted to suit
- Due to the variation in the ships' departure times, the tour may need to depart Christchurch sooner than usual
- This tour is unsuitable for wheelchairs or scooters. A folding walker can possibly be accommodated but you must advise us of this at the time of booking.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
Excellent host. Fantastic small bus.Had a wonderful and informative day!!!
The description for this tour said we got to do one activity in Christchurch. You could select a river tour, botanical garden tour or tram tour. When we got to Christchurch we were told that all of those activities were an extra cost. Other people on the tour were under the same impression when they purchased the tour. The tour guide was informative but very unenthusiastic. He wasn't very helpful when he dropped us off in Christchurch without any tour to do after the 2hr ride from Akaroa. This was the worst of the 8 tours we did on our trip.
We were met at the pier by Graham after being tendered over from the cruise ship. This harbor is not deep enough for the ship to dock. There were 10 of us for the tour which was just right. The shuttle was a new Ford mini bus that was excellent. Graham was very professional, courteous and knowledgeable. He got high marks from all of us on the tour. We traveled up and over the volcano into Christchurch. A stop for lunch at the Boatshed was excellent and we had plenty of time to walk around the downtown area before Graham picked us up again at the Botanical Gardens. A tour around town included the earthquake damage and recovery that is still going on. A ride back to Akaroa and returned to the cruise ship. A very good tour.
Our host Andrew was helpful and informative. The coach windows were small and did not allow for good viewing by middle seat passengers. The sights seen were amazing and Andrew stopped at the right gift shop for reasonable prices. Great day!