Christchurch and Banks Peninsula Sightseeing Tour
Upon arrival in Akaroa, please report to the Akaroa French Connection kiosk to check in and receive your boarding pass. Then simply board our tour coach and prepare for the journey of a lifetime. Sit back, relax, and experience the magical wonders of Akaroa, Christchurch City and the panoramic views of the Canterbury Plains and Southern Alps.
The coach captain will provide informative commentary of the local history of Akaroa as your depart and travel to Christchurch City passing through Takamatua, Robins Bay, Davauchelles and Barry’s Bay. Travel up the hill to the Hill Top Tavern and cast eyes over the picturesque views of Akaroa.
Tour duration: 10.00am – 16.25pm
• 10.30am depart Akaroa Wharf
• 1st stop – Little River – 10-15 minutes - Little River is approximately 30 minutes’ drive from Akaroa, a tourist destination on Banks Peninsula, and 45 minutes’ drive from Christchurch City. It’s a great place to visit for walks and mountain biking, and is a very popular stop over for its cafe and art gallery.
• 2nd stop – Sign of the Takahe – arrive at approx. 12.30pm – 15 minutes – an opportunity to take photos of the Canterbury Plains, Southern Alps, Brighton Beach, and Christchurch City.
• 3rd stop – Canterbury Museum (coach captain will explain activity options)
• 2.50pm – board the tour coach at the Canterbury Museum in preparation for 3pm departure returning to Akaroa Wharf.
• 4.25pm – arrival at Akaroa Wharf – board your cruise ship.
From the Sign of the Takahe, travel through Christchurch city and see the impact of earthquake damage and the center city rebuilt.
On arrival at the Canterbury Museum, disembark the coach and enjoy free time to experience the local activities of your choice, including the Botanical Gardens, Canterbury Museum, Gothic-styled Arts Centre, Art Gallery, Punting on the Avon, The Container Mall (a temporary mall built from shipping containers after the earthquake), or ride the restored heritage Trams, one of the city’s leading attractions, allowing you to get on and off the Tram as often as you please.
- Live commentary on board
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 1 travelers
This tour is for those who enjoy beautiful scenery. Christchurch is a 1.5 hour drive from Akaroa cruise port. This drive is a feast for the eyes. Our tour guide was knowledgeable, personable, and patient. We got off the bus at an area overlooking the city of Christchurch and our driver/guide pointed and explained the history of the city below, which areas and how much was leveled by the 7.8 earthquake a few years back. Our last stop was at the Canterbury museum and amazing gardens where we were given time to explore. During this time my 85-year-old uncle wandered away, lost his way, and missed the bus back to port. I stayed to help with the search. Akaroa French Connection employee Karen, was able to locate my uncle and another employee, Taylor, drove us back to port. My family and I are indebted to these ladies for going out of their way to help us. I will not hesitate to sign up for one of their tours again.