Famous Organ Concert in St. Francis Church
St Francis church is one of the most beautiful baroque churches of Prague. Even if its also one of the smallest churches - 70 seats only - it has long and important music tradition. Order of the Knight's of the Cross with the Red Star, who built the church in years 1681 - 1689, was admired to art and sacred music. In 19 century music productions here were the most popular in Prague. Tradition of organ concerts started in 1993, when its founder - Jakub Chalupa graduated at Academy of Performing Arts in Prague. This concert series runs continuously from 1993 to nowadays, yearly and daily from Easter to November, and it's longest uninterrupted Prague Organ concert cycle.
Organ of St. Francis church is an important historic instrument built in 1702 by Master Abraham Stark from Elgbogen in Western Bohemia. This rare organ is the second oldest in Prague, but oldest one you can hear at concert. In the year 2015 there was large and complicated reconstruction using the most modern technologies and methods of restoration and reparations, so this instrument is in excellent restored shape, and only here you can really enjoy a sound of genuine baroque organ in genuine baroque acoustic.
- Written program in English
- Written information about the church history in multiple languages
- Seat reservation (on request)
- Blanket for cold evenings (on request)
- Visit the church interior prior to the concert (on request)
- Entry/Admission - St. Francis of Assisi Church
- No bathroom in the church
- No food or drinks allowed inside
- Dress code should respect the Catholic church space
- Transportation to/from the church
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Dress code is smart casual
- Seats are assigned by the agency and are not released in advance of the performance date
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
It was a really magical experience. I would suggest recommend to see the church (amazing paintings) and listen to this phenomenal music.
This was a lovely concert in a beautiful church with an organist, soprano and trumpet player. I had a wonderful seat reserved for me at the side looking directly up to the musicians. Not sure why I was lucky enough to have this seat but it really made the experience something to remember! Perhaps because I booked from Australia sometime ago.
If you have ever wondered what an organ sounds like in an old church, this is the event for you. We were very happy to be able to listen the several vocalists and the wonderful organ. All seats were good and all guests were silent which helped to make the experience even more enjoyable.