Prague Private Communist History Walking Tour with Museum Entry
Walk down Bartolomejska Street in Prague Old Town, and delve into a dark period of the city’s history as you pass an old prison used during WWII. Learn about the much-feared secret police who used the space to interrogate and torture prisoners, and then continue your stroll to National Avenue. Hear of the student protests that once took place here – firstly against the Nazi occupation in 1939 and then against the Communist regime some 50 years later. Visit Wenceslas Square and learn about the 1968 Prague Spring when Soviet tanks rolled in to take over the city.
Explore Square of the Republic, named for the independence of Czechoslovakia in 1918 and, ironically, the location of the Prague headquarters of the Central Committee of the Communist Party. Hear about the square under Nazi occupation and the Czech resistance that culminated in the 1945 Prague Uprising. Just three years later, the country then entered communist rule.
Head back into the Old Town to explore its myriad of medieval streets, seeing the iconic balcony from which the leader of the communist party announced his plan to take over the country. Next door is the house where Albert Einstein lived while working with the University of Prague, and your guide will tell you about his work that led to the invention of the atom bomb.
Pass through the Old Jewish Cemetery, which dates back to the 15th century, and then continue past the former KGB and SS headquarters. Finish your tour with a stroll along Vltava River, listening to your guide's final tale about the world's largest Stalin statue, and then wander back to your hotel, where your tour ends.
- Professional English speaking guide
- Meet on location or optional pick-up
- Entry fee to Communist Museum
- Food and drinks
- Hotel drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- We offer pick-up in case the accommodation address is provided in "special requirements"
- Tour operates in all weather conditions so please dress appropriately.
- Participants will need to be fit for light continuous walking, for up to 3 hours
- We reserve the right to alter and change tour programs without prior notice
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
Honza is an outstanding guide. We saw numerous important sites and received a detailed explanation of the significance of each one. Honza also added some family stories that made the tour more poignant and meaningful. I highly recommend.
We had a great time in Prague, but our Highlight was the Private WWII and Communist Tour, Our guide had a lot of knowledge, was very insightful, and must of all was a great chatter. We learned a lot from the communist era and the German occupation. A
GUIDE WAS INTERESTING AND KNOWLEDGEABLE
Historical perspective and continuity lacking therefore resulting in a tour disjointed. On the other hand, riding public transportation (unexpected but small additional cost); walking through otherwise unknown courtyards and streets including a visit to 'the most popular' bakery/coffee shop were welcome surprises.
Good but would have liked a little more detail on the different parts of the city the Nazis impacted.