Otavalo Day Trip from Quito: Craft Market and Parque Condor
Stretch your legs at San Pablo Lake (Lago San Pablo), which sits at the base of the dormant Imbabura Volcano at an elevation of 8,000 feet (2,438 meters). While you take in your surroundings of the Andes mountains and lush green valleys, hear about the wildlife and developing tourism in this area.
Next, visit Parque Condor, a Dutch-owned sanctuary that rehabilitates birds of prey like Andean condors, eagles, owls, falcons and hawks. Follow your guide along a nature trail, and catch sight of some of these birds before heading to the amphitheater for a flight demonstration. Watch rangers work with hawks and falcons as the birds soar, plummet and find prey.
Make your next stop in Otavalo at its indigenous craft market, centered around Plaza de Ponchos and extending for several blocks in each direction. See locals dressed in traditional clothing, and listen to Andean pipe music in the background as you browse the displays of handmade jewelry, rugs, bags, ornaments and textiles.
Enjoy lunch at a local restaurant specializing in a modern take on traditional Andean fare, and then enjoy an introduction to the art of ancient weaving, traditional clothing and herbal medicines. You'll be guided by a native host who will share with you the legacy and importance of these traditions.
After a day filled with rich and natural wonders, board your transport and relax on the drive back to Quito.
- Professional guide
- Pickup and drop-off from designated meeting points
- Private transportation
- Entry/Admission - Otavalo Market
- Entry/Admission - Condor Park
- Entry/Admission - Cascada de Peguche
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Any souvenirs
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate
- Minimum age is 6 years old
- Otavalo's climate is usually cold so we recommend you bring a warm jacket. Please bring your camera because you’re sure snap those special memories
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people
We had Jorge as a guide and he was fantastic! He even made extra stops that he thought were important. We had an amazing time with him and the market and condor park were great.
Amazing tour. I enjoyed my visit. Very knowledgeable tour guide.
the bird sanctuary was great with a large number of owls and eagles, but the Indian craft market a bit of a disappointment with all the stalll pretty much selling the same stuff which clearly wasn't made by the people selling it. Lunch at the old hacienda however was me the highlight of the whole day, the food was beautiful but seeing how the upper class lived a couple of hundred years ago was incredibly interesting as were the antiques.