Private Quito City Tour and Middle of the World
The visit to Compañia Church cannot be missed because this is one of the most impressive churches of Latin America. Afterwards we will go to the San Francisco Church, one of the great religious buildings of the New World.
Finally, we head to the most famous hill in Quito, Panecillo viewpoint. Here you will notice the contrast between colonial and modern Quito. In the afternoon we continue to the middle of the world, the origins of this place goes back to the First Geodesic Mission which came to our country for the purpose of study and determine the exact curvature of the planet. This mission, managed by the French scientist Charles Marie de la Condamine and the Ecuadorian scientist Pedro Vicente Maldonado, determined where the equator crossed.
We have the opportunity to visit Intiñan museum just 200 meters north of the Mitad del Mundo monument, here is the actual "middle of the world," marked. This museum showcases what modern-day GPS has proven to be the true site of the equator line. Here your device will actually read zero degrees latitude and zero degrees longitude.
- Private transport
- English speaking guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entry/Admission - Fundacion Iglesia de la Compania
- Entry/Admission - El Panecillo
- Activities not mentioned
- Personal expenses
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Things to bring: Sun block, raincoat (or umbrella), camera, sun glasses
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
Great day in the old city and middle of the world. Raul was knowledgeable and full of information.
Our guide Diego was very charming and knowledgeable about Ecuador. We drove north to the equator for a guided tour through a simulated native jungle village, then we moved to the historic monument site. We returned to the city where we went to the Virgen Del Panecillo statue overlooking the city, then had lunch and a walking tour of the old city including a visit to several churches and the president's residence. We enjoyed the day.