Skip-the-Line Private Tour: Vatican Museums Walking Tour
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Vatican Museums, Viale Vaticano, 00120 Vatican City Italy
After meeting your private guide, go straight inside the Vatican Museum with your skip-the line ticket, and let your guide know if there’s anything specific you want to see or any particular interests you have that you’d like to hear more about, such as the history of the Vatican or the sometimes-scandalous stories about its inhabitants over the years.
Follow your guide to some of the complex’s dozens of galleries and rooms, such as Raphael’s Rooms, the Gallery of Maps, the Gallery of Tapestries and the Pinecone Courtyard. Hear about the famed Renaissance masters like Raphael and Michelangelo who created art for the popes, and listen to stories about rivalries between artists.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Sistine Chapel, Citta del Vaticano 1, 00120 Vatican City Italy
You’ll eventually reach the Sistine Chapel, known for its iconic frescoes by Michelangelo—The Last Judgment and The Creation of Adam, which decorates the chapel’s sacred ceiling. (Talking inside the chapel is prohibited, so any commentary from your guide will be given outside the doors.)
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: La Pieta, Chapel of the Pieta Basilica Di San Pietro, Vatican City Italy
Next, walk over to St Peter’s Basilica, the Italian Renaissance church that’s home to more artistic masterpieces, most famously Michelangelo’s La Pietà sculpture and Bernini’s bronze baldachin altar canopy.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: St. Peter's Basilica, Piazza di San Pietro, 00120 Vatican City Italy
Then head outside for a stroll around St Peter’s Square, where your guide points out Bernini’s use of optical illusion at the colonnades. Your tour ends here, where you can continue exploring on your own.
Duration: 30 minutes
- No-Wait Access to the Vatican
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Private expect guide
- Entry/Admission - Vatican Museums
- Entry/Admission - Sistine Chapel
- Entry/Admission - La Pieta
- Entry/Admission - St. Peter's Basilica
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Visitors must pass through metal detectors at the security check point; expect to wait 20-30 minutes to clear security
- Tours departing Wednesday: Unable to include St Peter's Basilica and St Peter's Square. This is due to the Papal Audience during which access to St Peter's Basilica could be closed. As an alternative, you will be offered an extended itinerary within the Vatican Museums
- On rare occasions, St Peter’s Basilica closes without notice. If this happens, the full 3-hour tour is spent inside the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel.
- Only small bags are allowed
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
My boyfriend and I took a 3 hour private tour of the Vatican tour with our awesome guide Sabrina. She was engaging and shared so much knowledge with us about of the Vatican architecture, history and beautiful art. I highly recommend this tour and Sabrina!
Ilaria was a wonderful guide. Her knowledge of the history was amazing as well as care and thoughtful ways for our 92yo mum.
This was a private tour for our family of four, and our outstanding tour guide made this experience exceptional. A professor of forensic archaeology, he was extremely knowledgeable, articulate, eloquent and elegant. From him, we learned an enormous amount not just about the general history of the Vatican museums and beautiful art collections, but also about the subtle nuances of many of the famous treasures and the fascinating and funny "inside stories" behind some of them. He gave us a unique perspective into the genesis of many of the pieces and the inspiration and personal idiosyncrasies of the great artists. It was a true pleasure listening to this special guide with his "mini-lectures." We were very fortunate to have him.
Laura S. was so friendly and knowledgable . She was a wonderful guide!! I definitely recommend CityWonders for tours in Rome.
This was a breath taking experience ! Francesca was our guide and my wife and i were the only people in her tour. We skipped the huge lines and went around the other tours easily. Francesca was extremely knowledgeable and shared her knowledge with us. Unfortunately, 2/3 through our tour she left us to get another tour. We were not happy at all but this and this is the first chance to post this comment as we just returned home last night. We kept up with her all the way, as we are not quite sure how were not afforded her guidance and knowledge on the remainder of our visit to the Vatican. We paid dearly for this tour and we certainly feel that we did not get the value for the money.