Ancient Rome & Colosseum Underground Group Tour
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Colosseum, Piazza del Colosseo, 00184 Rome Italy
In ancient times, the public did not see the underground area of the Colosseum, as it was a staging area where animals were caged and gladiators sharpened their swords and prepared themselves for the games. The Gladiators’ Dungeons have been opened to the public only recently and you’ll have the opportunity to see them with an official guide, who will show you the working of the underground system from below the arena, and on the arena floor itself.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Roman Forum, Piazza Santa Maria Nova, 53, 00186 Rome Italy
At the Roman Forum, you’ll be surrounded by famous ancient structures such as the Rostra, upon which Marc Antony delivered Caesar’s funeral eulogy, the Temple of Antoninus and Faustina, and the temples of Julius Caesar and Romulus, to name just a few.
Your guide will tell you about the history of the Forum, the purposes of the temples, arches, and monuments and describe the activities that took place in this sacred part of ancient Rome, which was the epicenter of Roman life.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
- VIP Access to Colosseum Underground & Arena (closed to the general public)
- Guided tour of Palatine Hill available as an optional extra
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Professional guide for all sites visited
- Guaranteed to skip the long lines
- Entry/Admission - Colosseum
- Entry/Admission - Roman Forum
- Guaranteed to skip the lines
- Hotel pickup
- Hotel drop-off
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Check-in closes 15 minutes prior to the departure time of the tour. Departures are on-time and there are no refunds or exchanges if you arrive after the departure time.
- Due to security regulations at the Colosseum, each person on your booking is required to have his/her ID which shows both name and date of birth. Without this, you may not be permitted entry to the Colosseum.
- Large bags, backpacks, and suitcases are not permitted in the Colosseum and Roman Forum, and there is no cloakroom to store them in. Knives and other dangerous materials will be confiscated. Please arrive to the meeting point as lightly as possible to avoid any problems with security.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
The variety of Colosseum tours is very confusing, but we chose the "Ancient Rome and Colosseum Underground Group Tour" and were very glad we did. The arena and underground were great perspectives and a much less crowded view, and the guide was truly knowledgeable and interesting, we were glad to have the guided tour for the Palentine Hill/Forum portion also.
Tip: book your colosseum tour early through the official website and you'll save lots of money. I unfortunately didn't know that so when I was trying to buy tickets the week before my trip, they were already sold out. A lot of places were actually sold out for the underground tour so I ended up going with viator, which was way overpriced (cost more than twice as much). The colosseum was amazing and I would definitely recommend the underground tour. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and gave great historical background but she talked a little too much. A good portion of the time was spent talking off to the side which left only a little time to actually see the site and take pictures. I also didn't like the fact that she was trying to skip the palentine hill portion of the tour because she was running behind, especially since I paid extra for that. She needs better time management so people don't feel rushed on the latter part of the tour.
We couldn't have hoped for better. Eliza was incredibly knowledgable- we had a tour of the Colosseum where she'd worked as an archeologist. Booked on a semi private and ended up being just me and my partner. Very lucky.