Private Tour: Werfen Ice Caves Adventure from Salzburg
Enter the Werfen Ice Caves (own expense), a vast underground labyrinth of icy caverns extending more than 26 miles (42 km) through the heart of Hochkogel mountain. Though officially discovered in 1879, according to Austrian legend locals knew about Eisriesenwelt long before, but they never explored it because they believed it was the entrance to Hell.
Take a cable car and walk through the caves, pausing to take in the mysterious caverns and surreal ice formations. Learn about the history, formation and discovery of the caves from your guide. As this is a private tour, you can tailor the pace to your needs.
After experiencing this breathtaking natural wonder, journey back to central Salzburg, where your tour concludes.
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup (selected hotels only)
- Hotel drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Entrance fees (approx. 20 euro per adult and 12 euro per child)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- You will need walking shoes, warm clothes and should be prepared for uphill walking. The climb to the ice caves is 440 feet (134 meters), and requires a moderate level of fitness/ability
- Please advise hotel details at time of booking; otherwise the tour departs from the bus terminal at Mirabellplatz in front of St Andrew's Church
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
Ice caves amazing. Panorama tours is pathetic. Once you get to top, two lines for English vs German. We waited over hour. Tour is listed as 9:30-3:30. We got back to Salzburg at 3:40. Told to pay for extra hour even though only 10 minutes late and ee had to wait up top. Scam!
We had the best tour guide which makes or breaks a tour. The Werfen Ice Caves were worth every penny. Beautiful views. Wear warm clothes! Private tours are the way to go. We definitely recommend this tour!