Samara Trails Including Werner Sauter Biological Reserve
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Werner Sauter Biological Reserve, Mountain behind Samara beach, Playa Samara Costa Rica
The tropical dry forest is one of the most vulnerable and rare bio-mes of Central America.
In Guanacaste, the characteristic six month dry season leaves the land susceptible to wildfires that often devastate the forest and its wildlife. As if this was not enough, over the past 40 years widespread deforestation and large scale agriculture have reduced the dry forests to a mere fraction of what they were in the past.
Undoubtedly this type of forest houses one of the most interesting and complex ecosystems of the area; the natural scarcity of water has caused wildlife to evolve and thrive in an environment with fewer nutrients than other tropical forests while also maintaining the ability endure six months of intense tropical rain.
Samara Trails tour takes you through the Werner Sauter Biological Reserve, one of the only private reserves in Guanacaste.
Stop At: Samara Trails, Samara Beach, Playa Samara Costa Rica
This 2.5-hour guided hike starts in a former cattle farm, continues through a mango plantation, you can eat all the organic mangos that you want!, and finally takes you to the reserve where nature runs wild.
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
The hike was very informative as the guide really knew his stuff. The flora changed as we proceeded up and the fauna various colorful birds and howler monkeys added to the feel of being in the jungle. So many tree species and the hanging vines brought back memories of Edgar Rice Buroughs Tarzan novels as a kid. The final overlook stop of Playa Samara at sunset was a plus.