Private Tour: Penang Hill and Kek Lok Si Temple
Walk up the steps to the temple and explore the vast complex with your guide. Two not-to-be-missed attractions are the 99-foot (30-meter) tall bronze statue of Guanyin, the Goddess of Mercy, and the sacred Pond of Longevity, which is home to hundreds of tortoises set free by devotees. Listen as your guide explains how tortoises are believed to be a symbol of longevity, strength and endurance in the Chinese culture.
After touring Kek Lok Si Temple, drive to Georgetown Station and hop aboard the Penang Hill Funicular Railway for a spectacular ride to the summit, located 2,625 feet (800 meters) above sea level. Along the way, keep an eye out for the varied flora and perhaps catch a glimpse of the elusive fauna. When you reach the top, escape the lowland heat and humidity, enjoying fresh air and magnificent panoramic views of Georgetown from Malaysia's oldest hill station.
Your private tour ends with return transport to your Penang hotel.
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Professional English-speaking driver cum guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
- Transfer surcharge for pick-up/drop-off from Penang mainland (Penang mainland: Butterworth, Seberang Jaya, etc)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please be ready to go at least 15 minutes prior to departure time
- Please advise that to avoid delays and the heavy traffic on weekends and public holidays, it is preferred to book this tour on weekdays
- In the event Penang Hill Funicular Train is not operating, Penang Hill visit will be replaced with visit to replace with Penang Colonial Museum
I didn't get what the Viator promised. Firstly, the guide called Ben didn't talk much. I had to initiate the conversation on many occasions. As he didn't say much, I was forced to ask a question. Then in most cases he answered that he was sorry that he didn't know. He was very polite to say sorry he doesn't know. It was rather weird as I have been to many Viator tours with a guide who is usually knowledgeable. This was my first time that the guide had to say that he didn't know many times. He also let me go on my own twice - once at the bottom of the stairs of the Temple not sure the name of it as he didn't explain, he asked me to wonder around the area and climb the stairs but as I saw a few beggars near the stairs, I got scared so I stayed in the souvenir shop. I saw him chatting with some other local people in the distance. Second time was when I had to go on the mountain train again on my own to the top of the Penang Hill. He said he would wait at the bottom and asked me to wonder around on the hill top myself. The Viator site says that the guide will point out this and that together with a client... But I had to walk around alone on top of the hill. I felt lost and deserted. He was more like a 'taxi driver' but not a 'tourist guide'. Very bitter experience as I expected to learn a lot.
Private tour with a guide who didn't get out of the car. We were not advised that to get to the top of Lok Si Temple you have to hire a jeep at a 40.00 charge. I have discovered that these vendor's low ball the rate on Viator then charge additional fees once you have booked. Be aware!
Our Guide was excellent apologies cannot remember his name we were a party of 4. The views from Penang Hill where spectacular. The temple was a must. Would recommend for anyone with limited time in Penang.
A very enjoyable and informative way to spend a morning.Our guide really knew his subject and and had a nice easy way of putting it across. We went to the hill first as ,I suspect, it gets very busy later on. The temple was amazing and was easy to move around in. Learned a lot about the various religions on the island and their customs. Would highly recommend this tour.
I was in Penang for work and I had only a day to see the sights. The tour was exactly what I needed to get a flavor of the area. The guide was very accommodating and helpful.
A very good tour with a lovely guide