Gordon River Cruise departing from Strahan
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Gordon River, Tasmania Australia
Cruise quietly in World Heritage wilderness aboard Spirit of the Wild, with her electric motors. The tranquility of this experience has to be experienced to be believed. Hear the stories of the river from our dedicated guides and step ashore at Heritage Landing for an interpretive tour of the ancient rain forest. On returning to your vessel, enjoy a Chef-prepared lunch on the river as you cruise for Sarah Island.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Sarah Island, Macquarie Harbor, Tasmania Australia
Step ashore at Sarah Island, a place once feared for its reputation as one of the meanest convict penal colonies in Tasmania. Hear the stories of the wild place with a guide who will take you back in time to the tales of hardship, heroes and villains. Sarah Island is a place that balances stunning scenery with a challenging and tangible history.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Gordon River Cruises, 24 The Esplanade, Strahan, Tasmania 7468 Australia
Returning to Strahan, enjoy complimentary tastings of local produce in the Gordon River Cruises terminal, as well as the opportunity to browse souvenirs and gifts for home before exploring the magic of the Strahan waterfront.
Duration: 15 minutes
- Chef Prepared Buffet lunch on the Morning Cruises
- Dedicated on-board guides
- Live commentary on board
- Restroom on board
- Quiet cruising under electric motors while on the Gordon River
- Entry/Admission - Gordon River
- Entry/Admission - Sarah Island
- Entry/Admission - Gordon River Cruises
- Drinks, unless you travel on the Premier Upper Deck. Cash bar available on the Main Deck
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Infants are free provided they do not occupy a seat
- Tour is wheelchair accessible on the Main Deck only. Motor scooters are not permitted due to size limitations
- About the boat: Spirit of the Wild features a unique hybrid propulsion system allowing you to cruise quietly on the Gordon River, as well as an environmentally designed hull to ensure minimal impact on the area’s pristine wilderness; inside, the vessel provides an optimal experience for passengers with interpretive facilities with maps, photographs and guidebooks, and plenty of deck space, including a 360° Viewing Deck at the top of the vessel.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 190 travelers
Great staff Great buffet Great scenery Great guides Oh did I mention it was GREAT. Spend the money and go premium. Worth every cent.
It was a rainy day when the Catamaran left Strahan heading to Hells Gate. What an amazing passage between lighthouses, rocky cliffs and an angry sea! How difficult must it have been in the early days to sail through this very narrow passage! An hour later we entered the Gordon River. The pure opposite! A sleepy Gordon River, a quiet and slow cruise upriver. I felt captured by nature and couldn’t see enough of this wonderful and majestic rain forest. Back to Sarah’s Island we stepped back in the convict ages - with impressive explanations about the black past in Australian (and British) history. Impressions you will never want to forget!
Fantastic scenery. Informative crew, great buffet and loved the catamaran.Only negative would be that we didn’t need to upgrade to the more expensive window seats as you were able to walk around and stand on the upper decks.
Extremely interesting and excellent value for money. Boat crew , food and guided tours guides were all first class. Could not fault any part of the Gordon River cruise.
We enjoyed a fabulous trip on the Gordon River. The weather was perfect, which made a big difference I suspect. It was the highlight of our trip to Tasmania. Well worth going.
This trip had been recommended by a friend for a must do trip. She was right, thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, staff were brilliant, I also would recommend to anyone to do this cruise.
Well organized, helpful staff, good food, wonderful scenery, really enjoyed the experience.