Tauranga Shore Excursion: Rotorua Te Puia Geothermals plus Hells Gate
Travelling with the best team in the business - not only will you visit Te Puia (Rotorua’s premium geothermal and cultural centre), but also Hells Gate – ominously named to represent the striking geothermal features you will see.
• See geysers explode high into the air. You will only get those iconic photos at Te Puia where you are up close and personal with many of the geothermal features.
• Experience an awe-inspiring cultural performance from local Maori. The 45 minute concert includes a powhiri (welcome) onto the Marae (meeting house), as well as traditional songs and dances. You will see the famous Haka (war dance) - guaranteed to send a shiver down your spine!
• Spot the elusive kiwi in the nocturnal enclosure. These shy birds are our national icon and are now endangered.
• Watch craftsmen and women learn their trade in the carving and weaving schools.
• Named by G.B. Shaw – this geothermal park will show you a variety of steaming fumeroles and bubbling mud pools.
• Indulge in the unique and relaxing experience of mudbathing (extra cost). Cover yourself in the sulphurous but strangely healing local mud, and finish with a soak in the silica-rich hot pools. Ladies – this is excellent for your skin!
• See the largest hot waterfall in the Southern Hemisphere – a place where Maori warriors would bathe to heal their wounds of battle.
• A visit to a kiwifruit orchard to see how this quintessential New Zealand icon is grown.
• A tour of Rotorua’s interesting city centre – including famous landmarks such as Govt Gardens, the Bath House, Blue Baths and the lakefront.
Our team has been delivering world-class Shore Excursions for over 16 years. It all started with owner Ian - one man and a beloved Rolls Royce car. Today, the number of vehicles and tours has changed, but the philosophy hasn’t – every customer is treated like one of the family, and we will make sure you have an unforgettable day. We have over 100 years combined tour guiding experience so you know you are in capable hands (and if you’re lucky you may even get to travel with Ian – he still loves to get behind the wheel!).
Travel in a modern, air conditioned vehicle with a passionate local as your host. We specialise in small groups to allow an intimate and personalised experience. Every tour is guided and commentated from start to finish - our guides delight in showing off our little corner of the world. And, we guarantee to have you back to the ship on time!
- Maori cultural performance at Te Puia
- Comfortable, air-conditioned transport
- Live commentary on board
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Entry to Hells Gate geothermal park
- Visit to a kiwifruit orchard
- Visit to Okere Falls
- Any meals or refreshments
- Mud bathing at Hells Gate (a smaller upgrade price applies if you wish to do this instead of the geothermal park)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This tour is not suitable for user of mobility scooters or wheelchairs (unless very small collapsible ones) . Folding walkers/frames can be accommodated but passengers must be able to enter a minibus using the standard steps. You must advise us at the time of booking if you are bringing any mobility device - failure to do so may result in you not being able to take the tour.
- Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
The trip was very rushed as the cruise ship was late into port. I am very grateful that the tour operator who offered us a shortened (half day) trip out to Rotorua that inlcuded Te Puia and the cultural show.
Liz McLaren was our tour guide and was an excellent tour guide. He was so knowledgeable and personable. TePuia was fascinating, We had a Maori greeting ceremony that was followed by a cultural performance inside the meeting house which we really enjoyed. Then on to lunch at a lovely restaurant on the lakeour expense but good prices and good food. Hells Gate was fascinating, boiling mud pools and thermal vents plus the hot water falls. We were allowed to roam at our own pace to explore as little or as much as we wanted. On the way back, we stopped at a Kiwi farm and had a tour of Tauranga Beach. A lovely day!
We were fortunate to have only 4 of us in total on this excursion. Our driver was local so had loads of interesting information about the area. The beach area was gorgeous, the ride to the geyser and thermal pools was picturesque. The geyser was active and fantastic to see. The thermal pools were interesting, but the show the Maori put on was the best part of the first park. Then it was on to Hell's Gate. The mud pools and the thermal pools at Hell's Gate was truly amazing. The ability to walk around without crowds and see, feel and learn was great! Our driver took us to some spectacular waterfalls on the way back. Worthwhile excursion!
Excellent trip .. despite the pouring rain ! Great guide .. helpful and knowledgeable .. plus only 2 other travellers ! My first visit to Rotorua Area and the tour exceed all my expectations.
We loved this tour, we opted to have a mud bath at Hell's Gate, it was not what we expected but it still was good. It is worth the money
Tour was great, very personel. Peter our guide was very knowledgeable about the area and best of all, he looked and even sounded like David Kosh
Great trip and Hells gate Thermal Bath is one of a kind experience. strongly RECOMMENDED!