Tauranga Shore Excursion: Rotorua Te Puia Geothermals, Maori and Kiwifruit
Entry to the fantastic Te Puia complex is the highlight of the day. Unlike many other advertised tours, the Maori cultural performance is included – as well as a dedicated and knowledgeable guide for the day.
Your guide will share their passion and knowledge about not only Rotorua, but the Bay of Plenty region as a whole. Learn about the province and see why it is such a popular place to live.
You will visit a kiwifruit orchard to see how this quintessential New Zealand icon is grown, as well as be taken on a tour of Rotorua’s interesting city centre – including famous landmarks such as Govt Gardens, the Bath House, Blue Baths and the lakefront. We also make a stop at picturesque Okere Falls.
Highlights of Te Puia:
• See geysers explode high into the air, viscous mudpools bubble away and boiling hotpools simmer endlessly. You will only get those iconic geyser photos at Te Puia where you are up close and personal with many of the geothermal features.
• Experience an awe-inspiring cultural performance from a local Maori group. The 45 minute concert includes a powhiri (welcome) onto the Marae (meeting house), as well as traditional songs and dances. You will see the famous Haka (war dance) - guaranteed to send a shiver down your spine!
• Spot the elusive kiwi in the nocturnal enclosure. These shy birds are our national icon and are now endangered.
• Watch craftsmen and women learn their trade in the newly refurbished carving and weaving schools. The apprentices here are keeping their customs alive.
Our team has been delivering world-class Shore Excursions for over 16 years. It all started with owner Ian - one man and a beloved Rolls Royce car. Today, the number of vehicles and tours has changed, but the philosophy hasn’t – every customer is treated like one of the family, and we will make sure you have an unforgettable day. We have over 100 years combined tour guiding experience so you know you are in capable hands (and if you’re lucky you may even get to travel with Ian – he still loves to get behind the wheel!).
Travel in a modern, air conditioned vehicle with a passionate local as your host. We specialise in small groups to allow an intimate and personalised experience. Every tour is guided and commentated from start to finish - our guides delight in showing off our little corner of the world. And, we guarantee to have you back to the ship on time!
- Experienced, professional driver/guide
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Comfortable air-conditioned transport
- Entry to Te Puia including Maori cultural performance
- Visit to a kiwifruit orchard
- Visit to Okere Falls
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- At time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- This tour is not suitable for users of mobility scooters (unless very small collapsible ones) or wheelchairs. Folding walkers/frames can be accommodated but passengers must be able to enter a coach or minibus using the standard steps. Please notify us at time of booking of any mobility issues.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
It was a good tour. The sights were enjoyable. The tour guide was professional and very good. Thank you. I recommend this tour.
Our guide, Graeme, was excellent! He is extremely knowledgeable and has such a love and passion for the land, history and culture of the land. He covered everything in good time without sufficient time for us to enjoy all the highlights. We also managed to catch the eruption of the Te Puia geyser which was the icing on the cake.
Graham our host was informative, interesting and personable! Comfortable coach, easy walking and beautiful sights. Lunch at Te Puia poor , not enough food or staff on site, but Graham said they are doing Renos and it should improve.
Very interesting tour with a very knowledgable guide that made all the difference. We learned so much about NZ and the Maui culture. Really enjoyed the Kiwifruit orchard as well. Had no idea that they grew on vines like grapes. Great job and a great tour.
It was good to be in a small group tour as it is much easier and more efficient. After a quick tour through Tauranga, we headed to the kiwifruit orchard. This was very instructive, though the sampling of kiwifruit was limited due to the number of visitors. Lunch at our own expense in Rotorua was in a nice location with reasonable choices. Following lunch, we made a brief stop in a city park where there are steam and mud pits right in the park. Very interesting. We then proceeded to Te Puia to see the geothermals and also the Maori show. The visit to Te Puia was worth the trip, seeing the geysers, the blue lagoon, etc.
Our guide was amazing, he squeezed so much info and the sites were incredible. The one part that was very shortened was the kiwifruit orchard mostly just shopping rather than a tour, and more information. Who knew that kiwis grew on a vine. The visit to the geothermal area could not have been more spectacular...geysers were on display in full force. Coach was very comfortable, and again I would highly recommend this tour.