Tauranga Shore Excursion: Hobbiton Movie Set and Rotorua Geothermals Combo
First stop is the cultural and geothermal hub of Rotorua where you will experience a intoxicating mix of New Zealand's power and beauty.
In the afternoon we escape into the enchanting world of JRR Tolkein’s imagination – on a trip to the Hobbiton Movie Set and farm.
Intricately recreated after being used as a film set for both the Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit trilogies, and set deep in New Zealand farming countryside, this location is on many visitors’ bucket lists!
Te Puia Highlights:
• See geysers explode high into the air. You will only get those iconic photos at Te Puia where you are up close and personal with the Pohutu and Prince of Wales Feathers geysers.
• Marvel at many other geothermal features including hot pools, bubbling mud pools and steaming vents.
• Spot the elusive kiwi in the nocturnal enclosure. These shy birds are our national icon and are now endangered.
• Watch craftsmen and women learn their trade in the carving and weaving schools. Admire the many ornate, authentic carvings around the complex.
• Explore 44 Hobbit holes set across 12 acres of lush pasture and manicured gardens. You can even get pop inside a doorway for a souvenir photo.
• Learn inside tips from your specialist guide and get wrapped up in the fascinating stories they tell.
• Make a visit to Bag End, the Party Tree, Gandalf’s Cutting, The Mill House and more. For you movie buffs there are recognisable landmarks at every turn!
• Cap off your tour with a complimentary ale, cider or ginger beer in the Green Dragon Inn…where you can sit by the fire, admire the expert craftsmanship and imagine life as a hobbit!
Our team has been delivering world-class Shore Excursions for over 16 years. It all started with owner Ian - one man and a beloved Rolls Royce car. Today, the number of vehicles and tours has changed, but the philosophy hasn’t – every customer is treated like one of the family, and we will make sure you have an unforgettable day. We have over 100 years combined tour guiding experience so you know you are in capable hands (and if you’re lucky you may even get to travel with Ian – he still loves to get behind the wheel!).
Travel in a modern, air conditioned vehicle with a passionate local as your host. We specialise in smaller groups to allow an intimate and personalised experience. Every tour is guided and commentated from start to finish - our guides delight in showing off our little corner of the world. And, we guarantee to have you back to the ship on time!
- 2 hour guided tour of Hobbiton Movie Set
- A tankard of Hobbit ale at the Green Dragon Inn
- Comfortable air-conditioned transport
- Experienced, professional and fun guide
- Entry to Te Puia geothermal park
- Food and drinks, however you are able to grab a bite to eat along the way
- The Maori cultural show at Te Puia
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This tour includes walking, with some inclines and steps on unmade paths
- This tour is not suitable for wheelchair users or any other mobility devices due to the paths at Hobbiton
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travelers
OMG it was stinking amazing to see Hobbiton, and really enjoyed the geysers and Maori show. We loved how the guide gave us tid bits for what to do and look for. She was great.
The trip to hobbiton was amazing. Even if you have not seen the movies you should go. Just a magical place. Te Puia is such an interesting place. Glad we managed to squeeze both in. Kudos to Chris our guide. Very informative and managed to get the full trip in and back to the ship on time. I would highly recommend this trip. A full day but well worth it,
Hobbit land portion was great. Having spoken to someone who did a Maorii experience tour with someone else, we missed allot at Rotarua. Guess there is only so much you can do in a day. Guide was excellent.
Everything went like clockwork! Excellent driver, terry, who was also an excellent guide. Highlight of my trip to New Zealand