Shore Excursion: The Ultimate Hobbiton and Lord of the Rings Movie Set Tour
Intricately recreated after being used as a film set for both the Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit trilogies, this tour will take you to another world set deep in New Zealand farming countryside.
Whether you have read the books, seen the movies, or neither at all - this is one day you won’t forget.
Our expert guide will set the scene as we leave the Bay of Plenty region and climb over the Kaimai Ranges. Admire the amazing scenery before arriving at 'The Shire's Rest' visitors centre where your Hobbiton experience begins.
• Explore 44 Hobbit holes set across 12 acres of lush pasture and manicured gardens. You can even get pop inside a doorway for a souvenir photo.
• Learn inside tips from your specialist guide and get wrapped up in the fascinating stories they tell.
• Make a visit to Bag End, the Party Tree, Gandalf’s Cutting, The Mill House and more. For you movie buffs there are recognisable landmarks at every turn!
• Cap off your tour with a complimentary ale, cider or ginger beer in the Green Dragon Inn…where you can sit by the fire, admire the expert craftsmanship and imagine life as a hobbit!
This tour is provided by Tauranga's best Shore Excursion team. Also included on the itinerary is a stop at a local honey shop (with FREE tastings of fresh NZ honey and FREE honey ice cream), and a visit to a kiwifruit orchard to see how this quintessential New Zealand icon is grown.
Our team has been delivering world-class Shore Excursions for over 16 years. It all started with owner Ian - one man and a beloved Rolls Royce car. Today, the number of vehicles and tours has changed, but the philosophy hasn’t – every customer is treated like one of the family, and we will make sure you have an unforgettable day. We have over 100 years combined tour guiding experience so you know you are in capable hands (and if you’re lucky you may even get to travel with Ian – he still loves to get behind the wheel!).
Travel in a modern, air conditioned vehicle with a passionate local as your host. We specialise in smaller groups to allow an intimate and personalised experience. Every tour is guided and commentated from start to finish - our guides delight in showing off our little corner of the world. And, we guarantee to have you back to the ship on time!
- Experienced, professional and friendly driver/guide
- Port pickup and drop-off
- A tankard of Hobbit ale or cider at the Green Dragon Pub (non-alcoholic option available)
- A visit to a local honey centre with tastings and FREE honey ice cream
- Air conditioned transport
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Hobbiton is open to the elements, and tours operate in all weather conditions (sun protection is recommended). Umbrellas are available for rain and shine.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved. Due to uneven surfaces and some steep inclines this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Please check with us before booking if you are unsure if the tour will be suitable.
- The vehicle size is usually 24-35 seats (smaller than the cruise lines), although smaller minivans are often used. Having 24-34 customers allows us to (usually) book a tour guide at Hobbiton just for us! This avoids the masses on the public tours that other companies use.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 35 travelers
The tour guide ( Alex) was fantastic and so knowledgeable and the place was amazing; the drink in the Green Dragon tavern was great; the tour bus driver was also very friendly and accommodating.
The whole tour was wonderful. From being picked up from the harbor - the driver imparting knowledge of the local area - the tour guide at the Hobbiton Movie Set tour - and the actual movie set itself which was so well preserved.
Great side trip on our New Zealand cruise. Guides were very good, courteous, and knowledgeable. Guides took our pictures when we wanted. Very interesting and beautiful area to visit. Would recommend this trip for anyone.
The movie set tour was excellent, but it would have been more enjoyable if the buses were spaced out farther to manage crowds. The bus driver Doug was excellent, but we had trouble hearing on the back row. We arrived at the meeting point 30 minutes early looking for someone holding up a sign with our names as instructed. At 10 minutes before tour departure, I asked one of the other tour companies where to meet Viator, only to discover our tour was subbed out to Shore Excursions and our name was on their clipboard list. Good thing I asked or we would have missed the tour. That’s how we ended up in the back row of the bus :/ Also, the advertised honey farm tour was a stop at a tiny honey store in town with crowds from other buses so that it was impossible to even get in. That part of the tour was a huge disappointment! The stop at the kiwi orchard was quick but very enjoyable. Overall a good experience.
Fantastic place to visit. We enjoyed to place very much and the scenery to the place. Hobbit Movies set tour was great and enjoyed to see how they built the movie set.
On time pick up. Not a single hitch throughout. Driver/guide wa very knowledgeable
After seeing the Hobbit film, this was a must see. Our guide John from Shoretrips was really knowledgeable and the guide Hayden at Hobbiton was great. A must see, especially if you are a fan but really interesting even if you are not a fan.
Even though we were not followers of the Hobbit Movies and Lord of the Rings, we decided to take this tour after reading the reviews. It was so true. You do not have to be a fan to love this tour! Our guide, Catherine, was wonderful! We were met right outside the terminal from our cruise ship. It was so easy and I know we saved money rather than booking the tour through our ship. The Hobbiton Village is incredible and we enjoyed every minute of our tour. What a fun day to spend while we were docked in Tauranga!
This was a great tour. The drive to the location is beautiful. Then the experience of Hobbiton was wonderful. The weather was overcast, but that help keep the temperature cooler since we traveled in February summer time The driver was also very informative during the drive. Highly Recommend